BSOD Haunting my PC

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every now and then my PC BSOD's and shuts off at random and every time it's a different file that made it crash.

I just checked my Event Viewer and found quite a lot of "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5." errors in there. Even ID: 11. Sometimes there are 3 of the same error listed 10 seconds of each other...

Quote:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xfffff8a00a52d000, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff88003fc1c02, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 010512-16676-01.
Error ID: 1001

I go and try to see "C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP" but it doesn't exist...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still have this problem.

One particular moment is today I turned my computer on (I left it on but when I got to it it was off so I guess it unexpectedly turned off [or crashed in other words]) and it BSOD halfway to the turning on process and restarted, when it was turning on the second time it BSOD again and then it went to startup repair where I did the startup repair thing, I also did the memory check and that came out ok.

I still don't know what to think about this. If you guys need more information on how to help me please ask for it and I'll try to share it if I can.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i see problems like this, i boot up linux live and move my data from hda1 to a spare and start over again. I know it could be a pain with complex setup's but when i get BSOD few times in a row and really not working like it should then i find save the hassle and the stress of it all and just recover what you can and re-setup the box.

may be much to ask but do you know what was being processed at the time before this happened? Checking for more clues........
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happens at random times and every time, it says a different file made it crash.

It even happens in the middle of the PC turning on.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't think it is a good sign mate, mite have to scrap the computer and keep the hard drives.

If you want to start changing up parts you can narrow it down but my money is on the motherboard stressing out.

Good luck mate
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It said "USB_BUGCODE_ERROR" on the BSOD I just now had...

According to Microsoft Answers it has something to do with the processor (or something like that). I didn't really understand it.

Even though it has some steps in fixing the problems, I don't know how to accomplish either of them...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would make the motherboard stress out?

I just had this grand idea to dust out my computer and, oh man, was it ever so dusty? I blew the air duster (the cans you buy at walmart) and I blew out so much dust and a few dead spiders out of there I'm sure the PC lost a few ounces off it's weight.

Hopefully this fixes the PC... it gotten to be so bad that I can't use the PC for more then 5-10 minutes before it BSOD... and then after that first one it's ever 2 minutes BSOD... really frustrating.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I dusted my PC I got a Bad Pool Header BSOD... not sure what that means but Google results tell me it may be hardware/driver... they also mentioned that it could be a wireless driver...

I have a wireless card in there (Netgear) and I don't know if that could cause the problem.

There IS an update for my wireless card but everytime I update it, the internet stops working so then, I have to fallback to the previous version of the wireless card to get internet back.

I just got the following error downloading one update (Windows Updater)

Quote:
"WindowsUpdate_80246007" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

And the update that failed to update is...

Quote:
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)

Download size: 73.6 MB - 892.6 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a recommended collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update. The service pack can help make your computer safer and more reliable. A typical installation will take about 30 minutes to complete, and you will have to restart your computer about halfway through the process.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206783

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206784
  • RaawrItsIzzy
  • Born
  • Born
  • RaawrItsIzzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blue screens have been haunting my computer as well. I was literally getting about five a day. I noted down the error but there was never any definitive solution to fix this. So I decided that I would re-install my Windows. This actually helped, and so far I have been free of blue screens (touch wood). I'm hoping that they will not bother me in the future.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not really an expert on BSOD's but I've came across them and usually it has been becouse of the following:

1) The disk has (read/write?) errors (this is something that chkdsk had help me with some times, one time I had to buy a new disk since it simply wouldn't respond at all).

2) Missing files/drivers. (this could happen due to a virus infection or even due to the antivirus software that mistakenly thinks a driver is a virus, usually easiest fixed by formating your harddrive with the windows CD) Sometimes you may have to go online to get all the drivers as well (this can be tricky for some).

3) Software bugs (happend to me when testing a software once, I had to enter safe mode and remove this software, later version of the software didn't course BSOD's however).

4) Hardware failure (I once had a grafic card that just stopped working. Replacing this piece of hardware did the trick, to search for hardware failures replace/remove ONE unit at the time is how I do it, note that there are probably better ways but I'm not a OS/hardware/buildityourself guy).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

5) Too much dust inside the computer case causing the graphics card or some other hardware to overheat.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts