Burning DVD with Nero

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other problem I am trying to resolve is trying to burn a DVD with Nero. When first logging in to the Nero Burning Rom I click on create a DVD and then I do it by the copy method. The source drive I pick is the DVD/RW drive (since that is the only DVD drive I have to read from) and then it asks me to insert the DVD so that it can read the entire DVD and load in on the computer. Once its done loading the DVD it then ejects that medium, but for some reason it also opens the CD burner and wants me to place the empy medium now in that drive, which is wrong. That is the CD Writer and not the DVD Burner. If I place the blank DVD in the DVD Burner and close it nothing happens, and I think the reason is because it thinks I am supposed to be putting it in the CD Writer. I do not place it in there though, because I know it wouldn't work.

Anybody have any idea why its wanting me to place it in the CD Burner, instead of the DVD Burner? Does it open the CD Burner because that is the default maybe? Here is the exact message I get when it is wanting me to place the blank DVD to burn:

Code: [ Select ]
Please insert an empty medium to write to...

Medium required for the compilation:  Unknown

Medium type in the recorder: (Empty)
  1. Please insert an empty medium to write to...
  2. Medium required for the compilation:  Unknown
  3. Medium type in the recorder: (Empty)

The othe reason I am thinking it might be opening the CD burner and wanting me to place the blank DVD in there is because of the line that says Medium required for the compilation is Unknown. It is almost like it doesn't know its burning a DVD. Anyway, if anybody has any ideas that might point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's weird. I find interesting things with Nero all the time, but I don't
have a DVD burner yet so I can't help you with this one sorry.

I think Nero has a lot of problems/issue with some compatibility.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

No clue, I didnt know Nero could burn DVD's, but like UNLFUX said, I dont have a DVD burner yet, so Im not much help either...
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't there an option somewhere in nero that allows you to select the source drive and the destination one? What happens if you unplug the cd burner physically from the ide cable? Maybe even try burning with some other progs? Or even update your current version of Nero. As i know the first version had many dvd issue problems.

I use nero version 5.10 and with the Pioneer A05 burner. I never had a problem such as yours...I don't think i helped you with this post but if u have any other questions about dvd burning, i can certainly help you.

++
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bah i think i know what hte problem is. Just add me to msn (crapdope@hotmail.com) and i'll take u through it step by step.

My uncle has a similiar problem and i somehow managed to fix it for him.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not post it here? that way we can all benefit. ;)
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, i'd usually post it here...

The thing is, it might not work, hence need another way to get around the problem. And this thread will go on forever if the problem isn't solved in a short time. Just trying to make it fast and simple as possible for him. That's all.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go ahead and post it here. Its okay if it doesn't fix it, but it might and could benefit others then. Anyway I do not have MSN messenger. Also its not like you could work with me while I check anyway. Its not actually my computer or located here, so its something that I would have to try later the next time I see them.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I say go ahead as well! :)
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, first of all... have you chosen the right recorder? To make sure, go into recorder in the menu and select 'choose recorder' (Crtl+R). To make sure you've chosen the right one (which is the DVD burner), click eject. If your CD-burner is the one ejecting, then there is certainly something wrong.

Second, are you burning your DVD through wizard mode? If you're not, then you could try it since it'll ask for your recorder before burning. So i really don't see any reason why it'll open up the CD-burner before the burning process.

In my experience in burning DVD's with nero, i didn't like it because it couldn't copy 'copyright protection' dvd's. So i made the swtich to DVDXCOPY which can do this and split movies into several discs. Maybe you could try that? Hope i helped... cheers ++
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I think that was my first problem, I didn't know how to switch the burner to the DVD burner, because there were 2 burners on the computer, a DVD/CD burner, and then just a plain CD Burner. The one that was selected was the CD burner which was causing one of the problems I think.

As far as it saying: Medium required for the compilation: Unknown

that is making me think something else is wrong though as well. The DVD I think they were trying to copy may have been a copyrighted DVD, I am not sure, but if it was do you think that may have been the cause of the problem then? Or would it just say something like cannot copy due to copyright protection?

Finally with DVDXCOPY, why would i want to split a DVD into many discs? Shouldn't it be able to fit the entire DVD that you are copying into one?
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, if your DVD is copyrighted...Nero deffientaly cannot handle that. It doesn't bypass the copyright protection on DVD discs. In your case, i don't think your DVD disc is copyrighted since you were able to make an image of it...right? Just not able to burn it. So if you ever come across a copyrighted DVD disc, a different software approach is needed.

As far as your 'As far as it saying: Medium required for the compilation: Unknown' message, i bet this is due to the disc you are trying to copy is over 4.7gb...so Nero doesn't know what sort of disc is required to burn.

Many DVD discs these days, especially zone 1 movies are over 4.7gb which is the standard DVD size. Commercially copied discs are dual layed, hence the size can reach up to 9.4gbs. So the DVDXCOPY program i was talking about can bypass the copyright and split the movie into two discs. The new version of DVDXCOPY named DVDXCOPY XPRESS somehow manages to do burn a 9.4gb disc onto one 4.7gb. I really don't know how it does it, but i'd sure like to know.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting, thanks for all those tips, I will have alot to try the next time I try :)
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to be of service... :D
  • gkmpb4
  • Born
  • Born
  • gkmpb4
  • Loc: houston, tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok get this. I have a Pioneer 106d dvd burner that supports dv-r and dv+r media. Its also a combo drive. Im using nero and tried to burn a cd and it automatically made me try to burn a image, and never allowed me to burn the actual CD. AND......once I try to burn a dvd it never noticed the media weather it was +r or -r.
wut the hell is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • gkmpb4
  • Born
  • Born
  • gkmpb4

Post 3+ Months Ago

OH and the movie was LOTR The Two Towers. SO I know it may be copywright protected like one said earlier. I didnt mention before that when you click on my computer and view the contents, it reads that the DVD blank media is an Audio CD. and also doesnt notice the read speed and version when you click on the recorder tab. Again. wut the hell is going on?!?!?!?!?
  • Brandon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Brandon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think nero isn't burning ur cd's because u didn't check the 'Write' box in the 'burn' tab section. Play around with the settings, it's got to be there somewhere. Otherwise upgrade to the latest version of nero.

Does it matter if Nero recognizes whether the media is + or - ? Does nero burn ur dvd's?
  • gkmpb4
  • Born
  • Born
  • gkmpb4

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok yeah it was Nero. I went and baught Dvdxcopy xpress and my first movie burned fine (cradle to the grave).My only problem now is that it only copied the movie.How can I get the special features and deleted scenes on the back up too? Sorry if its been talked about before Im just now getting the dvd burning thing started. I have pretty much all the latest dvd ripping software its just dont know the process. And whats up with xpress anyway. It seems like they made it from the teach me dummie guide on how to make dvd back ups. I need a little something more complicated with more setting features to backing up my movies..Somebody guide me in the right direction.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts