can't access folder in peer-to-peer xp network

• dimchandeliers
  • dimchandeliers

Post 3+ Months Ago

greetings,

Computers X, Y and Z are on p to p network WinXP pro.

Y and Z were set-up identically. Y can access everything on X.
Z can access the C drive on X and any folder on X EXCEPT the Program Files folder. That's the one folder I need to access!

I added the users on Y and Z to the user group on X. I shared all the necessary folders on X. Still I cannot access program files on X from Z.
Help!

Dim C
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Checked NTFS permissions? I.E. Right click program files folder>Properties>Security. NTFS permissions always overwrite share permissions. If your drive is partitioned as FAT/FAT32 though you won't get this tab (as far as I know anyway).

Saying that, looking at my machine the default permissions for Program Files are machinename\users to have at least read control. It could have been changed though. NTFS permissions are always the next logical place to look after share permissions (unless your drive is FAT of course!!)

Doh hang on, reading your post again I see that Y can access X so that probably makes the above suggestion redundant. Still might be worth checking it though. The only other thing that strikes me about Program Files is that the name is long and has 2 words. Try creating a directory on the C drive of X called 'Program Files2' or something and see if Z can see that for testing. If you know where its failing it helps.

S
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it's definitely a permissions problem Look very closely at all users on X and for Program Files and compare to the user/s on Z that are having the problem. Remember that if Allow is not checked the default is Deny. This is why it's important never to check Deny for group Everyone. If you do, you'll even nix the admin account from access. If it's essential to deny everyone access, Add the admin account first and any other users or groups and allow the ones you want, and deny the ones you don't and then remove Everyone.

I hate setting permissions. To me, it's the second biggest pain in the arse next to dealing with printer issues. No matter how you do it, it's almost never right the first time! *lol
  • dimchandeliers
  • dimchandeliers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Mr. ATNO
It's always good to see your face in my threads.
I know I'll be getting some gooooood info.

Dim C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should we take that to mean you solved it? And thanks for your kind comments.
  • dimchandeliers
  • dimchandeliers

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's all fixed - and I didn't have to do it!
One if the part-timers did it at night. I showed him the thread - not sure what he did.

Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts