Can't Boot to CDRom to Install XP

• kjb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kjb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just replaced a hard drive, and am trying to install Windows XP, but my CDROM drive will not boot on startup. I set it as the first boot device in BIOS, but all I'm getting is the message:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows 2000 root>system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Is there any way I can manually force it to boot my CDROM drive so I can install XP?

Any help is much appreciated...

kjb
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you have a boot floppy disk for XP or 98? Use that and normally it will ask to boot from cd, floppy, etc. and you can choose cd
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

some PC's if you hold down F7 while booting ,it will boot from the CD ,try that first.

I've used this countless times on family and friends PC's ,first time you use it ,it's worth it (but you need 6 floppy's )
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

I would go back in Bios and check Boot sequence section again,then make shure you hit F10 to save
  • kjb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kjb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried the booting from the 6 floppys, but at random points in the process the floppys simply hang.

I used brand new floppys.

Besides F7, is there another way to force boot the Windows XP CD? My boot sequence set to CDROM first still is unable to boot to the CD.

Is there a way to dupe the XP CD and add an additional file to it that would allow it too boot?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Belive it or not ,that first floopy #1 of the 6 has those files on it .

Just a thought ? alot of bios have 2 places were you set up the boot,
and alot of people get them confused ,make shure you were in the
first bootable device screen..

before I look something up ,do you still have windows installed ,and is this the PC that you are posting from ,or a friends.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can still get into windows ,download this file ,and when you open it ,it will tell you if your cd is the first boot device.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_ed ... config.vbs

and this is an xp auto run file :
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_ed ... enable.reg
  • kjb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kjb

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey,

i still have windows on my old faulty hard drive (with windows). i slid it back in and clicked your bootconfig icon.

It tells me: Microsoft Windows XP Professional | C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1

Does this mean I'm not booting first to the CDROM drive?

In BIOS, in Advanced Setup, I have the CDROM as first boot device, Floppy 2nd, and IDE-0 as third.

Am I missing another setting in order to designate my CDROM as the first boot device?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep your not booting from CD first .
Are you sure the OS disk you are using is a bootable disk. ?
boot order. You'll find a submenu that lists the order of "devices" or drives that your PC will boot from. If it does not have the CD-ROM listed first, change it so that the first choice is the CD-ROM and the second is the hard drive.
Change the boot sequence setting so that the CD-ROM or the floppy is first. the Page Up or Page Down keys cycle through the possible choices.
then hit F10 when your done to save the order .

I mean it sounds like you are doing it right ,next move would throw a 98 dos startup disk in the floppy, and select with cd-rom support , when you get to the A:\ prompt ,type in D:\ setup.exe
make shure you have the cd in ,with the floppy

Did I show you this :
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2745.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts