Can't change IE8 Home page settings

• aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using Windows XP SP3. Suddenly, I can't the change Home Page settings in IE8. I get the message "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." Don't know how to remove whatever restriction is present or why the settings changed. Ran virus checks using Security Essentials on my computer and Kaspersky online scan. No apparent malware. Help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off are you logged in as the administrator, just get easy things out first.

Also have you ran a spybot scan
  • aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for responding. Since my original post I found that I was hijacked by some malware called SweetIM. I thought I completely deleted it from my computer using Revo and Regseeker. However, it has locked me out of changing my IE home pages and has listed itself as the opening page. I can modify the opening page by running as Administrator. However, when I open IE normally the page is back. I've searched the registry by the name and can't find a thing. I've not run Spybot and will download it and try it.
  • aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ran Spybot and it removed many things. Still can't change Home page settings. The area for specifying the home page is grayed out in the Internet Options window. I believe that SweetIM modified a Group Policy setting. That program is most assuredly gone but I believe the Group Policy edit has to be modified. Problem is, I can get into the Group Policy area but don't know my way around. Any help would be appreciated.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

All of your Internet Explorer policies are located at:

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Internet Explorer

Dig around in there and see if anything has been enabled.
  • aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find any changes in Gpedit. I looked through all of the settings. I've reinstalled IE. I didn't expect it to help and it didn't. I'm sure something in Windows Policy has been changed but I can't find where. If I find a solution I will certainly report back.
  • aldago
  • aldago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally got it to work. What I did was go to the Spybot quarantine and delete all of the items in there. Apparently, when Spybot quarantines something, whatever it did to your system remains. When I deleted the quarantine items I could once again control the Home page dialog in Internet Options. Hope this helps someone else in need. And thanks for your help and your suggestion about Spybot. It did the job.
  • audie
  • Born
  • Born
  • audie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was installing a 3rdParty Windows utility and it came with an AVG Secure Search toolbar which forced itself and changed some IE8 policies running on a WinXP SP3 machine.

Removal of this AVG Secured Search from IE8 as per AVG instructions did NOT seemed to return to its previous state.

HOWEVER, I was able to remove the "Greyed-Out" setting of Home Page setting via the registry ----

HCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
Home Page = 0

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts