Can't connect to certain websites on both computers

• brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all I have two computers in my house networked together. For the past few days I noticed I could not connect to certain websites (i.e. http://www.darkhorizons.com ) on my computer. So tonight I tried my fiancee's laptop and couldn't connect either. I then disconnected my computer from the router and directly into the modem- still can't connect.
However, my brother at home can connect just fine. What do you think the problem might be? I can access other sites such as this one
Both computers are using Windows XP Home edition and Internet Explorer.
Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open Notepad
Goto %system root%/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (you'll need to set Notepad for "All files" not txt) (%system root% would be Winnt for Win2k or Windows fo XP and 98 or ME) Remove the entry for http://www.darkhorizons.com and "save"

The only entry that by default should be in there (unless you've added anything) should be 127.0.0.1 localhost
  • brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I went to that location using Notepad and the only entry in there was 12.7.0.0.1.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

I am getting the Cannot connect to server page when I try to go to darkhorizons.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just went to the linked website and it opened just fine for me. Something on your computers is blocking it. Do you have Firewalls on them, and by chance did access get inadvertantly blocked?
  • brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do have zone alarm but I don't see that I'm blocking this site. And my fiancee's laptop can't gain access to it either and she too is using zone alarm but like I said I don't see that I am blocking this site (I can't seem to find where I could tell that anyway).

Thanks
  • brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the message I keep getting

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this

Start | Run

Type ipconfig /flushdns

see if that takes care of it.

Sometimes things get gummed up in the DNS cache. Let's see what happens with that.
  • brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks. tried that and it still won't access the site.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it. Its frustrating me. i consider myself somewhat technically ept and it just boggles my mind.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

See if this link works for you:

http://69.56.243.156/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I just reread your post after I typed my last one. Did you try the suggestions there?

Quote:
To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

There is a posibilty you need to have an upgraded version of Activex installed. also. Do a Windows update and chech the optional updates. If there is an option to upgrade to ActiveX9 then install it. Depending on your OS you may need to run Windows update again and install a patch or two for current bug fixes.

I've tried the site on both Firefox 1.0PR and IE 6 and both work.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
See if this link works for you:

http://69.56.243.156/

Works for me. You are thinking DNS resolution, I presume?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I just wanted to toss it out there. Figured you could offer some advice incase it was a DNS problem.

Possibly a problem on the provider's end? Not sure...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:

Yeah -- that was why I first suggested looking at the hosts file. If he gets access via your link and if he can ping the IP by going to Start|Run| and typing CMD

Then type ping 69.56.243.156

And get a response, then it's definitely a DNS issue, and as you suggested, possibly with the ISP resolver cache.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
JrzyCrim wrote:

Yeah -- that was why I first suggested looking at the hosts file. If he gets access via your link and if he can ping the IP by going to Start|Run| and typing CMD

Then type ping 69.56.243.156

And get a response, then it's definitely a DNS issue, and as you suggested, possibly with the ISP resolver cache.

lol.. lets hope it isnt.. or this will be a new record.. seeing, 14 People with broken winsock keys :/

shouldnt in host also include "localhost" and "127.0.0.1"..
  • brian75
  • brian75

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to all for the help. I can only assume it was a problem on the provider's end as the sites I couldn't access on either one of my computers I now can.

Thank you again! :)
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's good. Glad it's working for you. A problem on the provider's end would be my guess.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts