Can't connect to iMesh, Kazaa, Morpheus...

• HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright here's the deal, i've only been able to connect to P2P networks for like two days and then out of the blue haven't been able to. here's the setup i have: I have a Satellite modem going into my desktop. Then from a NIC in my desktop I connect to the WAN port of a Linksys Router and finally my laptop uses a wireless networking card. (hope that's clear enough)

I know that I need to open port 1214 and I've done that but it still won't work. Anyone else have this problem?? Seems like no one can help. Especially Linksys...

Maybe i'm using the wrong equipment for what i want to do... Any suggestions??

(i'm your newest member, this place has great graphics)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the compliment first off.

Second I use a linksys as well and also use kazaa with no problems. I do not use a satelite however. What P2P network are you tryign to connect to? Also are you not able to connect to this P2P network from your desktop or your laptop? or is it just not working for one of them? Finally did you change any configurations with the router about the time that you started having these problems.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

just curious, but why are you doing it the hard way with your router... i mean according to your post, you are going from the satellite modem to your desktop pc, then from a second lan card going to the wan port of your router then going wireless to the laptop... seems kinda like putting the cart before the horse... i use kazaa all the time on both my wireless laptop and my hard wired computer from the router and i have NOT enabled or forwarded any ports for it (Maybe my search results and downloads would be better if i did who knows)
anyway, what i do is i run from the cable modem to the router, (WAN port) the from the router (port1) to my pc then for the wireless there are no wires involved.
also you can go to the back of the router and youll see a reset button, hold it down for 5 seconds or more to reset the modem cold boot (sorta like unplugging it)

good luck
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh also something to consider is your ISP some isp's are secretly blocking certain ports that cause a high demand on the routers, and their network in general, i know cuz i work for charter communication tech support. although we dont do it that im aware of from this area in texas, i hear it all the time about other companies (including charter) that have and currently do it. it has been proven. and bigwebmaster i believe has had an experience with ports being blocked for an online game ( i think it was charter too) anyway food for thought
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I did a long time ago when I was with charter. They were blocking port 7000 I think which is a common port used for Everquest. I was trying to play a game called Renegade by Westwood Studios which was also depending on port 7000 and it would refuse to work because of that.

The fact though that you said it was working a couple days ago is leading me to believe that that they probably aren't all of a sudden blocking those ports, but you never know. It is more likely an issue with the way you have setup your equipment.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do agree with Gadget Guru as well though... the way you have your network setup is a bit strange... I would send your satelite connection right into the WAN port like Gadget Guru suggested and then connect the rest of your computers right to the router/switch itself.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah plus that way,with the router inline you get the added benefit of the hard core firewall
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

iMesh and Kazaa i'm having problems with. Before I installed my router I was able to access both on my Desktop. After I got my router and laptop I haven't been able to access from either.

My Satellite modem is internal. I have a mini dish on the side of the house which connects via coax cable (so can't connect directly to the router) directly into the card my ISP installed on my desktop.

Alright, i'm pretty sure what's wrong is my setup. But I just tried to disconnect my desktop to WAN port. My desktop was able to use the internet but my laptop had no access.

does that help anymore?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you open port 1214 and are you sure that is the only port Kazaa or iMesh needs?

Also what changes did you make to your desktop that made it so you cannot connect to Kazaa or iMesh from there? Try changing them back to see if that at least solves your problem with the desktop. If it does let us know exactly what changes you had made to allow your other computer and router to connect to your desktop. We need to get the problem narrowed down so we know the exact problem. There could be too many things causing it and would take forever to figure out if you do not narrow it.

So try and see if you can make Kazaa or iMesh work again with your desktop. Let us know if you suceed when you return it to your original configuration.
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to make sure i'm hooking everything up right first. Does anyone have any other suggestions other then what I'm doing now.

Secondly I'll try to open the ports and see if that works... If not we can go from there.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

oHHH ok your using direcpc... i used to use them one way satellite system.. they are all funneled througha proxy... i used to have alot of problems with access to certain things. also they have a special thing called a fair access policy which in laymans terms says if you downloa d XX amount of data you are cut off from service for XX amount of time. to allow everyone a fair chance of share the bandwidth.. not saying that that is your problem just that they have very restrictive use of their bandwidth and it would surprise me if they block those ports for everyone in order to save bandwidth consumption.

as far as your connection to the router...going from your computer to the router... the router is pretty much over kill at this point the whole purpose of a router is to pull an IP address and distribute that ip address through out your network. well your computer is already doing that job for you... so rather than running a wire into the WAN port, run a crossover wire into the uplink port. and then connect any subsequent pc's into the ports, and of course wireless is still done with out wires... this will eliminate any blockage that the router may in fact be doing through its built in fire wall....hope that helps...
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I pretty much understand... so what's the purpose of a router then?? and once I do this will I be able to communicate between my two computers?? Thanks for you help... this has been an ongoing nightmare i've put up on the shelf for about four months now... and i'm getting sick of not being able to maxamize my computer experiance... :-)
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well what you actyually needed was a hub not a router, and by effectively using the uplink port instead of the WAN port you are using it like a simple hub... thus by-passing the secure firewall allowing access to the needed ports... please note that a standard ethernet wire will NOT work in your uplink port... you will need an actual crossover wire...
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

well at least the internet thus far... i'll be checkin out other things tonight... Thanks everyone for all your tips and help.. this has been a huge headache!
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problem # two... now that i can connect and I'm using the uplink port, I can't communicate with my desktop computer... I click on View computers near me, and it shows my PC and my Desktop. when I click on the desktop it says not accessable access denied. Any idea's?
  • HEMAN
  • HEMAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... I found out that my "setup" is alright... and if I have to talk to another linksys tech support line this year someone shoot me! SO! now i'm trying to troubleshoot other possible area's. My ISP (Springville Wireless) installed ISA Server on my computer. It's installed on my desktop but not my laptop (don't know if that matters). At this point I think my ISP is lieing to me. Because I really can't see why P2P wouldn't work. I'm also unable to use Remote Desktop, i asked my isp a while back why I couldn't and he said he doesn't enable it for security reasons... so I'm thinking the same is probably true for P2P. Prolly not for security... just bandwidth...

Is this pretty normal for ISP's to be sneeky like that??
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

couple things to check. if you dont have sharing enabled it will not show up as a computer on your network. also make sure you arent running any firwarl software as it will block access. if your running XP be sure that the default xp firewall is turned off...
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as your question, is it normal to do this blocking. i guess anytime there is a grey area market like p2p, they may silently block these ports then em[hatically deny it when they are asked about it.. so it is hard to say on that one...
  • hawkusn
  • Born
  • Born
  • hawkusn
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having something of the same problem... been able to connect to Kazaa last week and download, so I know my ISP supports it... I just installed a WAN and am now having problems. I have my cable modem connected to my router, my router then sends the signal to both my desktop and my laptop. What ports do I need to open, cause there is nothing in Kazaa's help for me... if you guys could help I would appreciate it. Thanks. :cry: :x :evil:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe you need to let port 1214 (TCP in both directions) pass through and point it to the computer using Kazaa. Please let us know if that resolves the problem.
  • hawkusn
  • Born
  • Born
  • hawkusn
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I opened port 1214 both ways.... pointed it to my laptop's IP address, still nothing
  • het69_uk
  • het69_uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to open port 6346 TCP Outbound to allow this to work properly.

Port 1214 is just to allow Kazaa to act as a Super Node.
  • Untouchables
  • Born
  • Born
  • Untouchables

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know if this well help you. I had the same prblem with Imesh. What I did is that I change my username by registering another username and password. It did connect me right away! Also, I suggest to try to reinstall first your Kazaa/Imesh and see if it will solve your problem just to eliminate software issues. Well, Im not a network guru so this is the only things that I can offer. :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts