Can't connect to a mapped drive

• rs7272
  • rs7272
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm stumped - one of our users all of a sudden can't access mapped drives. He's been connected for years and nothing changed on the server guaranteed. he says nothing changed on his end and I can't even think of what would cause this anyway.

He gets the login prompt and when he puts in a valid username and password it thinks for a sec then back to the login screen as if his credentials are wrong. I tried it with my log in info with the same results. Obviously the connection is there but why are login in credentials not working?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anything show up in Event Viewer?
  • rs7272
  • rs7272

Post 3+ Months Ago

security events show failed audit when I intentionally use invalid login info, but nothing when I use correct info...the plot thickens...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I make a guess that this is a wireless connection?
  • rs7272
  • rs7272

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually it's not wireless. Obviously something happened since it was working one day then not the next, but I can't figure out what happened...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The description sounds like a network connectivity problem.

Troubleshooting:
1. Change the ethernet cable. And yes, they can go bad just sitting there *lol
2. Check the network light on the ethernet port with cable connected and make sure it's lit. Otherwise you aren't making a connection.
3. Boot to safe mode with networking support. You don't have to authenticate to the domain that way and you can try pinging the server or try the internet to test network connectivity. You can also troubleshoot your network card that way as well as check your TCP/IP settings.
  • rs7272
  • rs7272

Post 3+ Months Ago

unfortunately that's not the problem. I went through your suggestions to make sure, but there's another server he maps to fine. I'm thinking it has to be something to do with authentication, but I'm drawing a blank...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is probably not related, but I just experienced something similar with a new computer I am prepping for network use. It wouldn't map my login drives until I disabled the Windows ICS/Firewall service and rebooted and logged in again. Took awhile to remember that IE7 re-enables those even if you had them disabled. Like I said probably not related but something to check for.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found something else out today. I was experiencing this all morning long with the aforementioned computer (even with firewall disabled). I've had this happen throughout my network at random with XP Pro machines and it's been driving me nuts for weeks, thinking it had to be a DNS issue when I knew positively my DNS was configured correctly. In addition I could ping the server I was having problems mapping to by IP address but pinging server name would not work (which I'm sure is why the drives weren't mapping either.).

I noticed userenv errors in my Applications log with 1030 and 1058 errors. Found this KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804

I applied the registry fix mentioned in the article (it applies to XP Pro as well as 2003 server). Rebooted the XP machine and everything worked perfectly with no errors. *note - I did not apply the hotfix, just simply used the registry edit listed below.

Quote:
1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3. If the WaitForNetwork entry is missing, you must add the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Right-click the Winlogon subkey, click New, and then click Dword Value.
b. In the Value name box, type WaitForNetwork.
4. Right-click WaitForNetwork, and then click Modify.
5. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, in the Value Data box, type 1, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
  • safeboy786
  • Born
  • Born
  • safeboy786

Post 3+ Months Ago

CLick on Lan settings and do a right click and select properties

Tick the check box "Client for Microsoft Windows" and press OK

Try mapping the drive now

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts