I can't find Longhorn

• dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loc: Dallas, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention everyone

I can't find Longhorn windows. I tryed searching under software in kazaa. I found Longhorn in there but i don't know which one to click on. I don't think none of them looks like alpha or beta. Can someone help me out by trying to find Longhorn?

Thanks everyone
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the way to tell kind of is by the file size of what they are. Look for one that is a file size that you might think is approximate for Long Horn. Like you know it wouldnt be a file that is 2mb for instance, and then try downloading that.

Second I believe Gadget Guru actually got Windows Longhorn from eMule which can be found here:

http://www.emule-project.net/

Finally I am not sure why you would really want Windows Longhorn that bad, it is basiclly Windows XP, with a few new features, and 1000 more bugs. From what I understand is its crashes alot and is not worth it, especially if you already have Windows XP. See Gedget Guru's review here:

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=413
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

attention Bigwebmaster

I seen Gadget Guru's screen shots and they really look pretty cool. I'm going to play around with Windows Longhorn. I will tell you when i'm ready to download it. right now i'm downloading emule. I only have 1 hard drive and it's 40 GB's. I'm going to mutiple dual boot using Redhat Linux, windows XP and Windows Longhorn. I have to download it with a 56k modem. It might take me twice as long to upload but i don't know how. Hell no i'm not going to upload it for no one, not with a 56k modem anyway.

I will let you know when i'm ready to download longhorn

Thanks
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I agree fully with Big webmaster, windows longhorn is a LONGGGG ways away from being desireable. it is bug bug bug ridden. explorer.exe was conastantly crashing on me. it was worse that Windows 95 A!! but if you really do want it. i found it on the link you see above on bigwebmaster's link to emule software.

note: it took me about 20 - 30 minutes toget emule figured out, just be warned. press f1 key when your in the application for details on how it works.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru or Bigwebmaster

I have emule installed. I press the f1 key and it says there is no help file found. Why does it say that i'm not connected to a server? How do i connect?
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

click the servers button/tab on the far left and then double click any of the available servers to connect. not sure why it says help file not found it should be there might need to reinstall it if it continues.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Gadget Guru

I did what you said and it still won't let me connect
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok but you do realize of course that on a 56k modem to download 655MB file it will take 3 days of constant downloading to retrieve the fiel. and thats if you dont lose your connection. keep in mind that most dial up ISP's automatically disconnect account every 24 hour to renew your ip address lease... so you might be fighting an up hill battle here.

on the other prob your having, i have only been using emule for 3 days now so im not the person to ask for help
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way that i can download Longhorn using a download manager? I think it would be much more easier.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

I thought maybe you can help me. Gadget Guru only used emule for 3 days now. I can't connect to emule. Will you play with it for a while and then tell me how you got it to connected. I big Longhorn is 655 MB. That is nothing compared to what i'm downloading now. I'm downloading Redhat Linux 8.0, 5 CD's, over 600MB's a piece. haha
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a great recommendation. How come you do not look into getting faster internet like maybe DSL or cable? That right there would probably make your life very easy.

As far as not being able to connect to eMule or see the help file. First I recommend re-installing it and make sure you install everything including the help files.

Second, are you using any kind of router or anything that would block ports on your connection? If you cannot connect either you are using some kind of firewall from a router, or Zone Alarm, Norton, etc, and there are ports you need to unblock. Also if this is not the case its is possible that your provider is blocking those ports for some reason and you should call them up for tech support. Also if you are using Windows XP do you have the internal firewall disabled? or is it on?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I can't afford DSL or cable right now because i turned on long distance my self and i ran it up or $1100. wow. Well anyway. I'm not sure do i have any blocks on my ports. How do i disable or enable my firewall? I will e-mail my internet provider. What do i say to them when i e-mail? Do i ask them do i have any blocks on the ports?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go here:

http://www.thedonkeynetwork.com/connection_test

Run the test and tell me what the results say.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

timeout: connection was accepted on ip 209.173.105.10 sent hello but no answer was given!??
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Damn dude!!! WTF were you doing to run up $1100 in long distance charges!!! holy *plum*, thats like a *plum* load of minute right there... in fact most cell phones these days have unlimited night and weekends, as well as FREE long distance included... ughhh... damn that a serious phone bill you got there... let me guess a long distance internet relationship right? haha been there did that (wasnt no $1100 though!)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsantamassino12 wrote:
timeout: connection was accepted on ip 209.173.105.10 sent hello but no answer was given!??

If that was the response you were given, then ports are being blocked on your connection. Either you are running a firewall on XP internally through XP itself, or you are using Norton's Firewall, or Zone Alarm. Do you use any of that? Or your ISP has them blocked.

Anyway that is what is causing your problem and why you cannot connect.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

How can i find out do i have a firewall on my computer, or norton? and how can i unblock them? I really want them unblocked tonight so i can't start downloading Longhorn.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well are you using Norton Antivirus? You should know if you are. Or are you using Zone Alarm? If you are using those, just turn them off.

To figure out if you have the internal firewall on xp on go here:

Control Panel->Network Connections->Right click on your connection and goto properties->Advanced

Once there make sure that the box is NOT checked for "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet"
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

I did what you told me to do and there is nothing blocked on my computer. and the box is unchecked. I don't have any of them fire walls. What should i do now. Should i talk to my internet provider?
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

Here are the error messages i'm getting.

Connecting to dsantamassino (0.0.0.0:4661)...

Error while connecting to dsantamassino (0.0.0.0.4661): 10022

Fatal error while trying to connect. Internet connection might be down

Automatic connection to server will retry in 30 seconds

and it repeats it self. What's up with that?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah sounds like a port problem. You need to somehow get these ports so they are not blocked:

4661 TCP
4662 TCP
4665 UDP
4672 UDP
4711 TCP

You should probably call up your ISP and try to resolve that problem. Figure out if they are blocking any ports, particularly those, and if not figure out how to solve the problem. I am sure their support will help you.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

I just got done chatting with my internet provider. They don't block any such ports. I read them the ports that you gave me too.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that link I provided you above where you did that test clearly shows your ports are blocked, not much else I can say. Either your ISP is lying to you or they do not know what they are talking about, or you are running some program on your computer that is blocking ports, like Norton, Zone Alarm, or who knows what else.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is Norton Ghost juust to back up my computer? because i have that on there. I will be putting Norton Utilities back on my computer. Will they do anything?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yah Norton interferes with alot if you do not know what you are doing. To solve your current problem I recommend running no programs except eMule and try to figure out why you are having certain ports being blocked.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Attention Bigwebmaster

I'm not going to reinstall windows XP until my download is complete. Will you please read in the Redhat forum on the last post i just got done posting something there? I thought maybe i will tell you in this post because you might not have seen it.

Please reply back

Thanks
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone.

I'm still haveing problems with emule. I did want Bigwebmaster told me. He told me to reinstall windows XP and run nothing but emule. I'm still getting errors. Does anyone know why i'm getting these errors? I don't think i have any ports blocked.

Thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

dsantamassino12 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'm still haveing problems with emule. I did want Bigwebmaster told me. He told me to reinstall windows XP and run nothing but emule. I'm still getting errors. Does anyone know why i'm getting these errors? I don't think i have any ports blocked.

Thanks

Go here again:

http://www.thedonkeynetwork.com/connection_test

if you get the same thing you got last time then you have ports that are blocked. If you get a message that says something like:

"success ... your id should be 123456789"

then your ports are not blocked and eMule will work. All that little test does is checks to see if your ports are blocked. So if you fail, then your ports are indeed blocked.
  • dsantamassino12
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • dsantamassino12

Post 3+ Months Ago

It failed again. I don't even know how my ports got blocked in the first place. I don't know how to unblock them myself. This can't be right. Well anyway, Did anyone read my new post in the Redhat Forum? Can some please reply to that one some time tonight?? :D

Thanks
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also I hope you do not mind, but I decided to do a trace route to your IP and check your connection that way and it seriously looks like you have problems with your ISP. When you call up your ISP they will likely deny that anything is wrong. I strongly suggest you convince them to look into it. There are numerous reasons which can cause your problem from your ISP to poor/old phone lines. According to the graph below you are getting a 30% packet loss and extremely high pings on the last hop. That right there will give you alot of problems. As far as the blocked ports, they are likely not telling you the truth here, or unaware that the problem exists:

The software I used to produce the above graph above has a free online tool here:

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 43 posts