can't fix - unmountable boot volume :(

• Steve2004jp
  • Born
  • Born
  • Steve2004jp
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop with dual boot: XP home(JP)-the original OS and Pro(EN). The HD is partitioned with Partition magic (v8.0 - jap edition). It worked fine for 1.5years, but since yesterday I can't boot the XP home - it says unmountable boot volume. From the XP pro (drive D) the C drive is just present on explorer, but can't be accessed, read, formated or whatever. I can't change the start-up option to read from FDD or CD instead of HDD, because the BIOS setup is only accessible from a program called Toshiba HW setup, which I don't have in D: and can't install from the recovery CD, because it's trying to install it by default in C: and it can't. :?: I read about that i have to load the recovery console and start chkdsk /r, but i can't load the console. :cry:
Any ideas? Please!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something must have changed. What did you do/were doing just prior to this problem?
  • Steve2004jp
  • Born
  • Born
  • Steve2004jp

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was recording video from a USB TV tuner and then was editing it. Do you think uncomplyant hardware could be the reason? Even if there is a problem with the tuner, i can't boot to remove it from the system.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't believe I've ever seen that problem, and unfortunately I'm going to have to sleep on it. In spite of what you say, you should be able to access CMOS setup by entering either F1, F2, or pressing the delete button immediately after POST. I don't think I've yet to see a system that didn't use one of those three options. You might have to try it several times, but one of those should get you into setup. To slow things down some, immediately after reboot and the POST screen comes up hit the Pause/Break key. That should stop the boot process long enough for you to either read the info to enter setup or at least get your fingers ready to hit one of those keys. Hit the enter button to resume the boot, then try any or all of the above.
  • Steve2004jp
  • Born
  • Born
  • Steve2004jp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, i tried all F-keys, esc and del, but i'll try again when i come back home this evening. Hope this trick with the pause/break will help. :?
  • Steve2004jp
  • Born
  • Born
  • Steve2004jp

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
... you should be able to access CMOS setup by entering either F1, F2, or pressing the delete button immediately after POST. .

Hey, it worked! You were right, the F12 key worked, it was just matter of timing. I ran "Drive Fitness Test" - a disk utility from Hitachi-IBM (i saw the HD is IBM) and it found bad sectors and fixed them. I didn't need to repair or reinstall the OS. Now it's working!!! No data lost (apparently).
Thank you ATNO/TW!!!! :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- I wish these manufacturers could get it together and just do one common one to enter setup!. F12, you say? Well, now that I think about it, I have seen that one before, but the most common are F1, F2 and Delete.

The problem is, today's drives and processors, etc are so fast that it's hard to even read the post screen to see what key you need to hit, let alone have enough time to do it. I'm glad it worked for you, but as an added tip if you had those problems with bad sectors, you might want to give some thought to replacing the drive before it does become unrecoverable.

I think the average lifespan is estimated around 3 years. If you are pushing that, you might want to do some serious backups and make some changes before you really get nailed.

Good luck and glad to have you at OZZU!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts