I can't get to my Private folders !! PLEASE HELP !!

• Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's whats happening

3 days ago I make the "My Documents" folder private.However,due to Windows (XP) problems,I had to reinstall Windows (I think with "New Install"),but kept my old files (no format).Now,I can't get in the My Documents folder (it says "access denied").I have over 15 GB of varius stuff in there,some VERY HARD to find,and I am considering suicide 8) !!!
:?: What should I do ?? :?: I don't want to lose my files !! PLEASE HELP SOMEBODY !!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: SanLeon Tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

when commiting suicide dont use a spoon,
ok ,are the documents the only thing that is not recoverable?did everything ealse u backed up load with out a problem? did you keep same windows or did u upgrade?do u remember a name of a old folder that was in ur old documents? try to do a search for that name on ur find files and folder.i have xp that worked for me with my sons games.
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

I upgraded my windows xp installation by re-installing windows xp (same cd as before) with an "upgrade" install.
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh,and yes,everything else works about fine,xcept for some programs that need to be reinstalled (ie PowerDVD)
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to do a search for the folder or a file that was in that folder and see if its still on ur computer somewhere,like i said that worked for me.let me know if not there are other things to look at ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I am reading his post right, he made My Documents private. If this is the same My Documents that windows creates then the folder is still there. If you check the properties on this folder does it still show 15GB there? Or is it gone? IF the data is still in the folder then there maybe hope. Don't quite know how you can fix it but I am doing research on it as we speak. Oh yeah, how did you make the folder private? Was it with software or something already built into XP?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't matter - if he logs in as the default Administrator account that was created when XP was installed (or reinstalled in this case) - he should have access to everything.
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats what i thought too
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might be the fact that when he set permissions and did the reinstall it was using the security ID from the old account. After reinstall, the Administrator account is going to have a different number. In which case since the two don't match it will deny access. I've never had to try it, but try and access the files in a command prompt. If you can, copy them to a new directory and see if that works.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

as a crazy work-around: maybe a system level service can read the folder. try putting the ftp service on the folder and getting your files the heck outt'a dodge.

shouldn't the administrator account read this directory no-matter-what; same id or not?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this. Log in as Administrator if you aren't already. Browse to the folder in Windows explorer. Right click and select properties. Click the security tab. Click advanced. Click the Owners tab. Check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Click Administrator. Click Apply or OK and you should be back in business.

BTW -- if that works you can blame chance. I grabbed my Win2K server book and just opened it up in the middle to start looking for a possible answer, and it just happened to flop open to a page and the first thing I saw was "Take Ownership" Here's what it says: "Once you are the owner, you have an inherent right to change permissions. By default, administrators can always take ownership of a file or folder."
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find the "security" tab ! Note that I am running XP Pro,not home or win 2000.
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also,I get an access denied error message even when I try to search for something inside that folder.I can see it in the "Documents and Settings" folder and the locked folder says that it's 0 bytes ! I'm going loco !!
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you see when you click 'properties'? I've got XP Pro and the security tab is right there (third from the left 'archived stuff' is the name of the folder).

If you don't see this, I might think that a virus has corrupted something, or something went wrong during the reinstall (wish I could be more helpful than that).
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

That gave me an idea.....I'll reinstall and try again...
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly you have Simple File Sharing enabled which means that the Security tab doesn't show. To turn it off in Windows Explorer do

Tools -> Folder options -> View.. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and there is simple file sharing.

Other than that I'd follow ATNO's instructions as I have followed the same procedure to recover ownership of files on currupted windows installations.

Good Luck,
Alkatr0z
  • Alexbeav
  • Alexbeav

Post 3+ Months Ago

No,I still can't see the "security" tab.Are u sure that it is there,even on "Home" Edition (I reinstalled Windows XP) ? I have asked some of my friends and they can't see the "security" tab either ?

Shouldn't there be a setting in Control Panel->Administrative Tools ?

Also,with the new install,I don't have the "Administrator" account anymore....the only admin is my user......

I think someone has cursed me....
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Administrator account only shows up in Safe Mode.. When you are trying these things are you logged on as the Administrator account? Or just your account with Administrator priveleges?
  • Kangel288
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kangel288

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS (i had hte same problem as Alex and it worked) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alexbeav did u fix ur problem or not yet??

once i had the same problem and i was so scared, so what i did i moved my hard disk into my second computer as a slave, and i was able to view my document,

if u fix ur problem let me know how??

thanks and good luck
  • cbarnett
  • Born
  • Born
  • cbarnett

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP doesn't know who owns the files and folders you're trying to access. When copied them over they had ownerships, and permissions attached to them via NTFS resources. When you reinstalled XP the corresponding entries in the registry were lost, so Windows is clueless.

Even the Administrator cannot access resources he doesn't have permission to. However, he can change the ownership, and thereby gain access. This is what you want to do. Now... Here's the hiccup: Windows XP installs with Simple File Sharing (SFS) as the default permissioning system, and not the detailed Access Control List (ACL) method you want. Disabling SFS will ENABLE ACL, and that will provide the security tab you need.

You have to do a registry tweak, but here's a better way: http://www.x-setup.net

Load this up, do the upadates, search for SFS, and disable it. Log back in, and as long as you're in the Administrators group (You are if it's your computer), you'll have the security tab, and you should be able to figure it out from there.

NOTE: For some reason the ability to change ownerships on sub-folders doesn't seem to work all the time, or on everything. You just have to plod through the dialogues each time you encounter a folder you can't get into.

BTW - You don't have to log in as THE Administrator to do this.
  • The Gold Fish
  • Born
  • Born
  • The Gold Fish
  • Loc: NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

To display the Security tab
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options.
On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].

I had the same issue once you take control of the folder and reset the attributes you should be fine.
  • Krishna
  • Born
  • Born
  • Krishna

Post 3+ Months Ago

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hi,
First and foremost, I'd like to thank all of you that helped, I had 8 years of work as private, and I too reinstalled windows, and wham.. can't get to them. However, problem solved, thanks to the posts on this forum.

However, many solutions were suggested, I'd like to simplify by stating which one worked, and the procedure I used.

Background info:
I'm using Windows XP Home: pre-install, and post-install...

Procedure:
1.) Go to Safe Mode by hitting F8 as Windows loads, and then select Safe Mode (I did Safe Mode with Networking)
2) Log on as Administrator (no password.)
3) Right click on the folder in question, and hit properties, select the security tab (its there even in Win XP Home)
4) Go to the Advanced section, and select the Owner's tab - set the AdministratorS group as Owner.

There you go, hit Yes when it wants to confirm.

Krishna

THANKS A LOT GUYS, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH WORK YOU SAVED ME![/i]
  • baz1981
  • Born
  • Born
  • baz1981

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also had this problem!! :x
Thanks to you good people it is no longer a problem. :wink:
Just thought I would register to give my thanks for all those who helped solve this problem.
Now I have the 15GB of data that I thought was gone. :D
Thanks again
  • sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alexbeav wrote:

What if you just do what was suggested? That could possibly help. Re-installing is like running away from your problems, and it may not even help, but its up to you.

Next time, make sure you don't make private an important folder like My Documents. Create your own folder and make that private.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

sonnyrizo wrote:
Alexbeav wrote:

What if you just do what was suggested? That could possibly help. Re-installing is like running away from your problems, and it may not even help, but its up to you.

Next time, make sure you don't make private an important folder like My Documents. Create your own folder and make that private.

sonnyrizo -- thanks for the help, but look at the last date Alexbeav posted back in February.

To the rest who found help from this thread Cheers! and glad to have you hangin' around OZZU!
  • Higgy2k4
  • Born
  • Born
  • Higgy2k4
  • Loc: Prince George, BC - Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sort of found an answer from another posting somewhere on the internet sorry can't remember exactly where from.
But anyways, it suggested turning off "Simple File Sharing" so I followed the steps to do so. Open "My Computer" Click on "Tools" at the top.
Then click on "Folder Options" then click the "View" tab
Scroll to the bottom and UNCHECK the box "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

That is about all I got from the other post.
I continued on my way back to the access denied folder it still showed it as empty and access denied,
except this time when I right clicked it and chose Properties I got the properties page. Whereas before I didn't get anything.
With that, I clicked on the "Security" tab and found my way to the Advanced button near the bottom and up came a warning.
LOL I can't remember what it said but I chose YES then I clicked on the "Owner" tab and I do believe another warning popped up.
I then chose to take control or possession of the permissions and it took some time but it unlocked the folder.
The permissions are now set to my new username.

I am sure that last little bit doesn't make sense reading it but it may when you get to that point. LOL

Hope that helps someone if it hasn't already been answered.

OK I am adding this blurb to the bottom of my post as I replied to the last post on page 1 without looking to see that there was a page 2 and a solution on page 2. Whichever as it looks like everyone found their solution. I was gonna delete my post but I will leave this here as this worked for myself.

Good Luck to all.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts