I can't open .exe (i deleted svchost .exe)

• Bilbomanator
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bilbomanator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a prob with the computer this file svchost .exe kept popping up and opening and crap....like 200 times (in processes)

Finally I used Net-Devil on myself to kill it and then delete it from my WINNT/system32 folder.

Now after that thing stopped windows seemed to run at normal speed and things stopped f^*@&%* up.

One sorta little problem....

I goto run cmd.exe and i get "Cannot find the file "cmd"(or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

I goto open regedit and pretty much same thing.

Whenever I goto open a .exe file I get can't load object libraries or access denied or something.

Here is the loop:
I can't open notepad.exe but if I open a saved .txt file im into notepad.
I can't open SPYBOT, but I found a back way in so I ran that(no luck.)
Defrag opened without a prob so did Users/Passwords in control panel. Only the rest of control panel wont go.
IE6 - open a saved html file and im in...

I can't get into regedit nor the net devil prog to hack myself....

I tried downloading the service pack4 and i got into winzip but I can't run the file.

My last few hopes are to reinstall windows and maybe try safe mode or command prompt boot up.

(My father is almost forcing me to format my HD maybe buy a new one because he doesn't want what I have through the network.

I'm Running W2k with some 380mg RAM 40gig HD Athlon 2.1

I must have installed or opened something that made this fake svchost .exe (not the real one svchost.exe there is a space) but once i deleted it this happened.

A virus fixer won't do much good either because I probably can't find a way to open it.

Any help or suggestions to try would be great and the faster the response the better (I have school work that needs finishing and I can't get into the prog that I need to work with)

Thanks all,
Matt
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well now you know what happens when you delete an essential Windows service without checking it out first. For future reference, here's what it does:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;250320

Based on your description you may also have the welchia worm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .tool.html

Having that many processes running just simply isn't normal.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have thought that Windows 2000 file protection would have prevented deletion of that file. <shrug>

Anyway, if you haven't already re-installed windows, there should be copy of svchost.exe in %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache.

If you are able to get to a command prompt or boot into safe mode with command prompt, navigate to your system32 directory.

Quote:
cd %systemroot%\system32\

then

copy dllcache\svchost.exe

If you can't do it from safemode, you can use the recovery console.
see http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

Once you get to the prompt, just enter the same commands above. I've used this method to recover lost or corrupt files on more than one occasion. Beats re-installing.

Good luck!
  • Bilbomanator
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bilbomanator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't delete the real svchost.exe that's still there.

I deleted the fake which appeared only a couple of days ago which is "svchost .exe" (svchost(space).exe)

That unless I am majorly mistaken was the fake because I am always going through my processes in task manager and I know it like the back of my hand.

The svchost_.exe opened itself many times not the regular one.

I looked for the dllcache but I couldn't find that folder.

I seem to still have svhost.exe installed.

I would reinstall or repair w2k but the cd is in my old house(we moved only days ago) and it is a bit of a drive out.

Thanks for the help and I still have one last thing to try.
-Matt
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's still characteristic of several worms or viruses. You really should run a good full scan. I'm about 98% sure you'll discover you have a virus.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

My mistake, I thought you mistakenly deleted the original svchost.exe and not the fake.

The dllcache folder is a hidden system directory. You won't normally see it unless you have hide protected operating system files unchecked in your folder options. This is moot, however, since you still have the original svchost.exe. Of course, for future reference, it's a good thing to know.

Good luck,
  • phpSelectah
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
  • gmgeorgie
  • Born
  • Born
  • gmgeorgie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have windows xp proffessional w/sp2. I also deleted svchost.exe from the registery after checking on google that it is a virus and malware, and it slowed my laptop to almost a halt. I went to task manager and found out that there are many svchost running, e.g system, network, local, and they are using so much of the cpu. I immedietley followed google search steps on how to remove it, and went to the registry and delete it. Now. I can not get on the internet, I can not save my documents and pictures, there is nothing under network connection, can not drag a document to save to my external hardrive, I don't have the volume icon anymore in the system tray, and I am sure there are many other functions are not working due to the deletion, I can not save a documents to a CD either. I do have the windows xp proffessional sp2 cd, but it has a crack, and I don't know if I can download it from another computer to a cd.
what should I do in this case? just like I mentioned in my introduction I am computer illeterate and need help put this back the way it was. Thank you.

P.S. the only good thing about this, is the fat the computer seems running faster.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You woke up a three year old thread. but try this Here

And just because there are multiple svchost.exe processes...does not mean they are viruses. If there not under your user name then their probably okay.
  • gmgeorgie
  • Born
  • Born
  • gmgeorgie

Post 3+ Months Ago

murcielagossi wrote:
You woke up a three year old thread. but try this Here

And just because there are multiple svchost.exe processes...does not mean they are viruses. If there not under your user name then their probably okay.

Thanks for the quick response, am sorry, didn't pay attention to the date, but the link you posted still did not help me figuer out how to get the svchost.exe back into my registry, I need a solution if possible, the damage is already been done.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, then try:This

Did you try to copy/paste the svchost.file to C:\windows\system32 directory.
  • kelly338825
  • Born
  • Born
  • kelly338825

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I actually had this problem just yesterday. I deleted the real svchost.exe file using kill this and my entire system went crazy. I also couldnt access the internet, and 90% of things wouldnt work. The kill this prog wouldnt load, and I did see the backup file of svchost.exe, but my computer wouldnt allow me to move it, or copy it to the sustem32 folder. After like 5 hours I used winrar, and extracted it, or compressed it, and was able to move it that way. I dont remember the actual steps, but it was the only way to get it to move. I now see in processes svchost runiin 4 times user,local, system,network. Is this normal.I just wanted to give that input to poster above since it seems like I had the same problem until i used winrar to get it back to where it was supposed to be. Thanks god I backed it up. Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts