Cannot conect to certain websites

• chooch
  • Born
  • Born
  • chooch

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hav windows xp pro sp1 and a wirless wrt54g linksys router. i have a problem with connecting to some websites such as hotmail microsoft and (windows update) msn messenger and many other siites. this problem is happening through my hole house becuase were all on the same wireles router.

please help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• chooch
  • Born
  • Born
  • chooch

Post 3+ Months Ago

please some one i need help desperatly
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a firewall - if so check your settings. May be blocking some sites?

Also change your security in ie to Medium/Low in order to test it.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I thought I posted in this thread last night, it must have not gone through.

Anyway, you should check the port settings on your router. It might be blocking connections on certain ports, so programs like msn messanger won't work.
  • electrichead5
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're having problems connecting to the internet in general, you may want to check the settings on your router. If it's set up to only allow certain MAC addresses access to the outside world, you might want to either A) turn that feature off (i don't recommend doing that), or
B) going into the command prompt (on each machine)
type: ipconfig/all
look for the entry that says "physical address"
there should be a string of numbers/letters broken up into groups of two (it's hexual, baby). If you see a series of zeroes, keep looking, there will be another entry.
write that down!
then go into your router (telnet in, use your web-browser, however you configure it)
and under advanced features somewhere there should be a place where you can enter the MAC (physical) addresses of the NICs you would like to give access to the internet to.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easier workaround. Assign all your computers static IP's within your router's range. For DNS add your ISP's DNS servers IP's as your secondary and tertiary DNS servers in network properties for TCP/IP. If your router does not have the DNS cached, your computers should then look to your ISP's DNS servers to resolve. That should fix your problem. You may need to contact your ISP for the DNS servers IP's if you don't already know them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts