Cannot connect to certain websites need advice

• Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our ISP is Birch Communications. I went to one of my sites where we do all are processing over the internet. This particular site has suddenly been unaccessible within the last few days. I called Birch and they tell me that it was in our network and had nothing to do with them. So, the next thing I did was take my own personal notebook computer and disconnected the local network from there isdn modem and connected my notebook directly to it and still could not access this website. I called them again and the tech there still insisted that it is not there system and that its something in our network. I explained to him that I took my own notebook and plugged it in directly to his isdn modem and still could not access this website. I next took that same notebook back to my office which I have a different ISP and I was able to access that website without any problems. Any ideas ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try obtaining the IP's of the Birch DNS servers and manually enter those into Network Properties as secondary DNS servers. It sounds like your computers for some reason aren't finding their name servers. Doing it manually should take care of it.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

all addresses from Birch are fed to us dynamicly and if I take this same notebook computer and take it to different ISP connection at my office I have no problems. We have no DNS servers at our location we are pulling all ip's from there isdn modem
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other thing is that we were working fine a week ago and also we can access other websites from that location with that isdn modem. Example "www.msn.com" but this one paticular site we can not from that ISP but connecting to another ISP connection we can?
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you still out there ATNO/TW ? So when I do a ipconfig /all on that ISP's network I should take those DNS addresses its assigning to me and try inputting them manually that may make a difference even if they are showing up on the command ipconfig /all on that pc
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That should do it. I get the feeling that your DHCP server isn't assigning the Birch DNS IP's to the clients based on what's happening. Sorry for the delay - I'm at work and busy and will be gone the next hour.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really appreciate your responses. See that's the whole point we do not have a dhcp server I am connecting directly to the back of thier isdn modem and retrieving all ip's from that modem. I hope I am making myself clear. Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I follow you now. I was a little confused. I assumed you had the local network hooked up through a router. Most routers have a DHCP server that asigns local IP addresses to the network.

The last suggestion I would have would be to do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew (for Win2K or XP), or ipconfig /release_all and ipconfig /renew_all (for 98 or ME). In other words force the computers to obtain a new lease from Birch.

The more you describe what you're doing it almost has to be a DNS cache problem on their end.

That's all I can think of. Perhaps someone else can suggest something else here thiss afternoon.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW

I really thank you it was a DNS issue after all. I called Birch and asked them to give me the addresses of thier DNS servers and plugged those into all the systems. Everything working again. Thanks a million!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know.
  • ChesterKSig
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChesterKSig
  • Loc: Evansville, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am now having the same problem. I have a cable modem and an SMC router. The website in question is http://www.hardocp.com. I know that they are online because I have been able to access them from other places, although all of the computers at my house are unable to find it. Whenever I try to get the page, IE tells me that it is connecting to 69.56.175.220 but a few seconds later gives me a 404. Thanks in advance for your help.

-PTD
  • ChesterKSig
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChesterKSig

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a traceroute, if that helps:

05/22/04 15:20:00 Fast traceroute http://www.hardocp.com
Trace http://www.hardocp.com (69.56.175.220) ...
1 192.168.123.254 1ms 1ms 1ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
2 10.10.48.1 11ms 36ms 10ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
3 12.220.7.129 10ms 11ms 9ms TTL: 0 (12-220-7-129.client.insightBB.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
4 12.220.0.50 20ms 19ms 19ms TTL: 0 (12-220-0-50.client.insightBB.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
5 12.123.25.30 21ms 23ms 21ms TTL: 0 (gbr6-p40.sl9mo.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
6 12.122.11.125 35ms 21ms 21ms TTL: 0 (tbr2-p013601.sl9mo.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
7 12.122.10.90 39ms 34ms 36ms TTL: 0 (tbr2-cl6.dlstx.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
8 12.122.12.86 34ms 37ms 56ms TTL: 0 (gbr5-p40.dlstx.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
9 12.123.17.49 33ms 33ms 34ms TTL: 0 (gar3-p360.dlstx.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
10 12.123.196.97 36ms 34ms 34ms TTL: 0 (gar1-p340.dlrtx.ip.att.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
11 12.119.136.18 37ms 35ms 36ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
12 12.96.160.12 38ms 50ms 36ms TTL: 0 (car1-2-v1.dllstx2.theplanet.com probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
13 No Response * * *
14 No Response * * *
15 No Response * * *
16 No Response * * *
17 No Response * * *
18 No Response * * *
19 No Response * * *
20 No Response * * *
21 No Response * * *
22 No Response * * *
23 No Response * * *
24 No Response * * *
25 No Response * * *
26 No Response * * *
27 No Response * * *
28 No Response * * *
29 No Response * * *
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your case, I'm not 100% sure it's you. They seem to have some issues. Took a good while for their page to load on broadband and there is an Iframe that 404'd on me and a Flash file that did the same. Yes the site appears to be up, but usually if you can't connect at all from your home computers as an example, there is a DNS issue as descibed above preventing the name resolution. This could be on your router but as discovered above it's usually with the ISP. Not certain what else to tell you. As you can see above Leo Tapia resolved the problem by obtaining the correct DNS info from his ISP and correcting the enties on his computers. Not sure if it will do that for you or not. It seems your problem is site specific.

You may want to go to all your home computers and delete temp files and history. If you are using I.E. I'd recommend selecting the option to Check the option to "Check for new versions of stored pages: Every visit to the page" if it's not already set that way in Tools | Internet Options | General Tab | Settings
  • ChesterKSig
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChesterKSig

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help... looks like it's tech support for me. Hehe. -PTD

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts