cannot connect to Microsoft VPN server

• ciscoask@hotmail.com
  • ciscoask@hotmail.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.. I have a Microsoft VPN server (Remote Access) in my company and I configured my company firewall to allow everywhere to connect to the VPN server. I can connect to there from anywhere as long as I have internet.

But I have problem connect to it from one of our partner company's internet access. I don't think our partner company firewall block the outgoing traffic, I can ping the VPN server as well. When I tried to connect to server, it did come to verifying username and password stage, but it didn't register into it (it proves that my VPN server is responding actually) but after that it timed out and redial.. Anyone know what could be the problem?? I am sure my username and password VPN server IP are correct.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Providing you can connect to the VPN from elsewhere without issue, it sounds a lot like your partner companys firewall does not support VPN passthrough or else has been restricted from doing so.

Firewalls are notorious for blocking this type of traffic. PPTP VPN traffic is always blocked by Cisco PIX firewalls by default for instance.

Stephan
  • ciscoask@hotmail.com
  • ciscoask@hotmail.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info..

but what I don't understand is it did come to a verifying username and password stage, but just that it can't log in into network. If I change toi another another unknown VPN server IP, it won't verifying username and password at all.

And I think my partner company use 1721 (router+ firewall features)
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

We've never managed to get VPN's working properly using pass-though on Cisco equipment (we're Cisco dabblers here rather than experts :D) whenever we've needed to link 2 sites together in this manner we've just always used site to site IPSEC VPN. This negates the need for the passthough and is generally more reliable anyway as all the hard work is left to the firewall. Would be a bitch to setup though. Also i've never tried it between hardware & software so can't really give any tips on that one i'm afraid :cry:

S
  • ciscoask@hotmail.com
  • ciscoask@hotmail.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you , the problem is solved. You are right. The vendor configured some access-list on the router. After removing it works. May be the 1721 router is not a stateful firewall.. so we need to manually allow incoming return traffic as well. Not sure whether it is right as they don't allow me to view the config
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad you got it sorted :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts