cannot remove searhbar in add remove programs

• Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a searhbar toolbar that is not in the add remove programs and so I thought I could go to regedit and remove it there but when I type regedit in my run box it does'nt load. I also get a mcafee message that a virus has been detected but could not get mcafee to load either. so in add remove programs I remove all mcafee so that I could install NAV, but now when I try to load NAV it gets me to the install screen and I tell it to install client version but it seems not to want to load NAV. Any Ideas thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had that problem before. I would recomend downloading and installer the trial of "advanced uninstaller" it is wicked, if you can not remove something in windows uninstaller you can do a forced removel,

You can delete cookies, history, clean registry, clean tray...

Its free for 30 days and is not very expensive to buy do a search in google for it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which searchbar tool bar is it? And you will have problems installing NAV if McAfee is installed. You have to uninstall McAfee first. Sounds like you have a virus that's pretty much gummed up the works. It may get to a point that it may be easier to reformat and start over. I don't usually recommend that, because most things can be fixed. Best to try to fix if you can, but I would suggest backing up all critical files while you still can.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that it is a virus that caused this but I don't want to have to reformat and reinstall if at all possible, I was hoping I could do a repair on XP's missing or corrupted files and then maybe be able to install NAV after that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you by chance know which virus, and I'll repeat my original question -- which searchbar? Knowing one or the other could help us help you narrow it done and perhaps find a solution that doesn't involve reformatting. Just repairing XP isn't going to solve the virus problem. You'll probably have to do a manual removal, but we need to know which one.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have removed the searchbar and thats all it displayed was the word searchbar and had a field to type in your search. I seemed to have windows operating somewhat but still can not run regedit or install NAV
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

also no I can't do a scan so I do not know which virus it is. I do know that it is a worm thats about it
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe it was the W32.Beagle.J@mm it came as a e-mail
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I mentioned before, you can't install NAV if McAfee is still on the machine - you have to uninstall it first. If you can try using the free version of this one:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

I've never used it, but it is highly recommended by many who come here and other tech boards I frequent. I believe it will install even with McAfee on the machine. If you can't get anything to install, your windows installer may be corrupt and need repaired.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way to repair the windows installer?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes -- Just download it from Microsoft. However, I will say that at the moment I'm having difficulty finding the XP version. I've found the NT/2000 one, but can't seem to locate XP.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I found the reason I couldn't find the installer for XP is that it doesn't exist, since XP already comes with the 2.0 version, you can't use the Win2K one to install or upgrade it.

You might want to attempt to "repair" XP using the method desctribed about halfway down this page:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Back up all your data first, because I know some people have encountered problems with an XP repair and in the end had to start from scratch.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

couldnt he be taking the virus and/or whatever damage it did with him if he backs up now? It would be kinda difficult to know whats probably safe, but i suppose you could save whatever files you can to some rewriteable media. Id be kinda concerned about backing up email accounts and folders. check whatever data you save carefully before you put it back in.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it looks like reloading this system is what its coming down to. I will back up the data and once I reinstall the OS again I will load NAV before I copy any data back to this sys in order to have NAV scan files being copied back on to this system. I feel this is about the best way to go about this.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, but youre probably right. If you have a network available, you could allow the data on the infected machine to be shared, and check it from another pc with an updated antivirus on it. (or pull the hard drive and put it in another machine as a slave drive). Then you would know if your data is salvageable. I try to keep my stuff backed up to cd/rw constantly so I dont lose it should something happen, and it will eventually.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*duh -- slap me for not thinking! I wasn't even thinking network John -- you're right -- I scan several networked drives from my computer. Good call.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks. pure experience talking there. I run across his problem a lot. I bet his "searchbar" came from a popup and not an email attachment.
  • Leo Tapia
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Leo Tapia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really appreciate the support from both of you. Thanks
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Youre very welcome my friend. I said in another post to someone, and Ill say again, Im glad I can help someone else the way these folks have helped me lately. This is the best way to pay back dont you think? :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts