Cant connect to the internet...

• usmc
  • usmc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i have two computers, both running Windows 98, and both are able to connect to my dsl internet connection but i only have one connected. One day, i tried to get on the internet, but all internet explorer did was say "detecting proxy settings" in the status bar. I am also unable to connect with AOL instant messenger, but when i use my other computer that usually isnt connected, i am able to connect fine.
The green light on the network card is green, and says i have a connection but i am unable to actually access the internet. Any suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you have them both connected? With a router, hub, or switch? You are most likely only getting one IP address from your isp.

If you aren't behind a proxy server then you can stop it from attempting to detect the settings in internet options, connections tab, lan settings.

If you are using a hub or switch, then you will need a router configured with DHCP - you can most likely follow any instructions that come with it.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as something way out in left field, have you tried disabling the "automatically detect settings" setting? Its under Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections
Hmm Unsure whether you would be considered as Dial up/VPN or LAN. Probably LAN. To change the setting just click on the appropriate "Settings" button and untick the "Automatically detect settings". To see which you are for future reference(plus I'd be interested to learn if you would post it back), just check one then try connecting with IE. If it goes through the automatic detection of settings then turn off the other one and we'll know which you are considered as :) Be interesting to see if it works, personally I find it hard to see it would but I consider it only takes a couple of minutes so its worth it if it has a chance ;)

Alkatr0z
  • usmc
  • usmc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, i have my two computers and a playstation hooked up via a Linksys 5-Port Workgroup Hub, and have been using it like that for about six months, although i usually only have the one computer connected. The one that is always connected is the one that stopped working.
I tried disabling the "automatically detect settings" yesterday but it was still saying the "detecting proxy settings" in the status bar. I enabled and then disabled it again today under the LAN settings, and it stopped saying "detecting proxy settings" but now it says it cant find the webpages i try going to and says "downloading from site:res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm"
  • usmc
  • usmc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigcheez...you said that i may only be getting one IP address from my isp, would it just assign it to one computer or would i be able to switch computers freely using that one address if i only have one computer connected at a time?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is really going to sound simple and dumb, but have you rebooted the computer? It fixes a world of evils in 98, primarily system hooks. I had a user today that couldn't log on to the network. Rebooted the computer and login went through without a hitch.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it sounds dumb ATNO, in fact that's the first thing I always recomend to every user when they call.

Shut the thing down and call me in the morning LOL
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually leave my computer on all the time. Occasionally I will have trouble with my dialup connection. I will establish a connection but none of programs will be able to communicate over the net. A reboot always fixes the problem.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

man this problem would be a whole llot easier if u had windows xp cuz there is a little connect tab put ur mouse over it and u can seup a connection or for windows 98 SE umm if u check the settings on the pc that is connecting to the internet and look at the one that is not see if anything on the working one is different from the non working one and change whatever needs to be changed
  • usmc
  • usmc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea i've restarted my computer like a billion times the past two days and i have compared the settings of the two computers and there is no difference as far as i can see.
Now i am starting to think maybe it's not my computer but my ISP because my ps2 couldnt connect to the internet all of a sudden and apparently people in my neighborhood have been havings problems with their internet also...i will be calling my ISP probably tomorrow and i'll let you all know if that was it. Thanks for all of the suggestions though and i'll gladly try any other ones you may have.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts