I cant connect to the internet with xp pro!!!

• computerguy0424
  • Born
  • Born
  • computerguy0424
  • Loc: Hampshire, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using windows xp pro and SP1a. I have an onboard Lan connection on my SOYO P4X400 Dragon Ultra Platinum edition motherboard. I have all of the most updated drivers for my motherboard, but, I cant connect to the internet on a T1 line. Is there some setting within windows xp pro that would prevent me from being able to surf the web? I have dial up at home and can connect fine through my modem, but, I cant even get yahoo.com to come up when connected through the T1 line. I have done every setting that I can think of and I am completely stumped!!! Previously I was running Windows 2000 Pro and I could access the internet on the T1, but, I was rinning older drivers for my onboard lan. I dont know if it is windows xp doing it or the newer drivers for my onboard lan. Someone please help me. Thank you.

Greg Stritzel
computerguy0424@netzero.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you obtainaing a valid ip address from your dhcp server?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Turn off the XP firewall
  • computerguy0424
  • Born
  • Born
  • computerguy0424

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am receiving a valid ip address and I can ping other computers within my home network, but, I cant get any web pages to come up. I have turned off the windows xp firewall and still have no luck. Please help.

thanks again

Greg
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

how the heck did you get T1 in your home! That stuffs expensive geez. Unless you get it from a special deal or from where you work.
  • computerguy0424
  • Born
  • Born
  • computerguy0424

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the T1 is at my friend's dad's office. :D So it works great for lan stuff on the weekends and I dont have to pay for it. he he he :oops:
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh. Nice!
  • computerguy0424
  • Born
  • Born
  • computerguy0424

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know of any other network settings within windows xp pro that would prevent me from getting web pages??? Thanks
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

computerguy0424 wrote:
Does anyone know of any other network settings within windows xp pro that would prevent me from getting web pages??? Thanks

Make sure like they have mentioned here that you are not behind a firewall. You say it is your friends dads office. Are you plugging in to a straight connection or are you plugging in from a router and or switch?
If so you router could have a fire wall.

If this is not a machine that has been plugged in to the T1 before. Have you installed the drivers that comes from your T1 provider?

Also make sure your PC is set to automaticly config your IP settings and try it if that is not set.

another thing reset your modem with the computer still on turn off your modem (that is if your T1 sever provides it in some cases they will and in some they will not) but if so while the computer is still on unplug the modem killing all power to it wait about 30 seconds and then shut down your computer. leaving the modem un plugged for at least two minutes on a T1 with your computer still off go ahead and plug in your modem and wait for all the lights to come back on and receive packets after it is all on turn you machine back on, and give it a try.
  • johnhartel
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnhartel

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am having the same thing happen to me with xp home
but i can get on with lindows
i get the dump screen or my pc just reboots
if i use kazaa on xp i get on
  • johnhartel
  • Born
  • Born