Change Windows 98 to Windows 98se

• allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, at my great age I'm very new to computers so I need all the help I can get.

If someone can tell me please a hassle free way of reloading an operating system, I have just bought a used computer from a boot fair for my grandson to use…. it’s in a bit of a mess full hard drive and full memory etc with all the games loaded on it, the Windows 98 CD that came with it is all scratched and I don’t think it will load…I did get a start up disc with it …

I have Windows 98 se on my machine so can I clean the hard drive of the one I bought and start from scratch by loading it with my Windows 98se…will there be any problems with it, will it work ok or will I cause any problems by doing this.

Thankyou, any help will be appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The biggest problem you will face is having the drivers for all the hardware devices such as the Chipset for the motherboard, the graphics drivers, sound drivers, perhaps modem and network card drivers etc. Spend some time looking at the hardware devices and make sure you have the latest drivers available to reinstall after the operating system is installed. This can be particularly frustrating if you don't plan it out ahead of time, particularly when you need to access the internet to get updated drivers etc and you can't because your modem or network card isn't working yet.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou, how do I find out what drivers I need, I assume once I know this I can go to the websites and download them.

Sorry but I haven't done this before, I spend most of the time on the computer useing the Microsoft Office programmes.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to the device manager by right clicking My COmputer and selecting properties. From there you can run down the list and find out what manufacturers made all your hardware devices. Usually you can download current drivers from the manufacturer's site.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou, you have been very helpful and I am grateful to you for being so prompt. I shall come back if I have any problems.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can't figure something out just continue to reply in this thread. I won't be around much the rest of the day, but others here can help you very easily. Good luck.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will do, thankyou again.
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

More help needed please, two questions.

1. The PC that I will need drivers for just has a floppy disc drive and a CD Rom, I will not be able to download the drivers and save them to CD on this one, some are to big to save on floppy.
On my machine I can save to CD but how can I ensure that the CD I save them to on my machine will work in this other one, it's an Aria. Do I download them to my desktop then copy and paste them to the CD, or write them as data.

Sorry I hope you can understand what I mean, I'm confusing myself here.

2. What drivers are essential to enable me to get on the net once I've reloaded Windows, modem I know I need, is there anything else.

Once I'm on the net I can then download all the other drivers I need, slightly easier then spending hours downloading then find the CDs can't be read in the Aria PC.

Thankyou.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

just, get the drivers on to the cd, it shouldnt be a problem, burning a cd, and using it on a windows below, theyre pretty much the same system of working, and will work, only worry if its Apple to PC...
both burning techniques should work but in the odd chance it doesnt, if one fails, really, you can always try the other :P

2. Your modem driver, but usually, if its real generic, they will include it. Unless, your on a network, then.. thats a whole different situation.. ;)
  • allycat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • allycat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou, I understand now and I appreciate the help given. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts