changeing the ?default/main? username

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, this is jsut ticking me off slightly... on one of my computers (running xp home) th emain/default... whatever... the first user that was set up on the computer... was originally set to 'Owner' i have gone into user accounts and changed it, but it still recognizes the account as 'Owner' how do i change it to something else?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got this from http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm it is number 12 on the list.
Quote:
Note: If you have previously used the "Owner" or "Administrator" account for "general purpose," your account options could be affected if you rename the accounts. I do not recommend to rename your account in this case. However, if you have not already, you should password them now!

Quote:
Everyone on XP Home, by default, has Administrator privileges and the User name is "Owner." If I know that, so does everyone else on the planet. Change the name and / or password your account. If anything, password it. NEVER have an account unprotected! EVER!

How?

Start --> Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Choose "Owner" --> Select "Change my name."

Also, you should (will) place a password on your account.

How?

Start --> Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Choose "Owner" (or what ever account you named it above) --> Select "Create a password."

If you choose not to rename the Owner account, you should always password them. The next time you install Windows, create a new user account and do not use Owner and Administrator for "general computing."

Hope it helps some
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i already did that, i can log on as either 'Owner' or 'Calendae' and the login screen (i have the welcom screen disabled) still defaults to 'Owner' even if i log in as 'Calendae' the shut down, and bring it back up. also when i lock the computer it says 'Owner' as the person who locked it.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you try any registry edits? If not when logged in as "OWNER", go to:

Start-->Run: type in regedt32 click ok

Go to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

On the Right side you will see the key "DefaultUserName" You can change the "OWNER" to what you want.

Go to the Control Panel and verify the changes that you have made to the account.

Reboot the computer to see your changes.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

*fixed* ty all

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts