Comcast cable internet, Belkin Router, and Netgear Gateway.

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, I'm having a strange problem with our cable internet.

The setup is like this...

For some reason, the internet will run VERY slow and sometimes just stop working for about 20 seconds at a time. For instance, if I were to load ozzu's home page, it would usually load about half of it fast, and then just stop loading for a few seconds, and the finish loading the page eventually. But if I were to restart the gateway, the internet would run perfect for about 30 minutes or so, and then just crap out again.

Here are the exact things I have...

Gateway - Netgear CG814WG v2
Router - Belkin F5D7231-4

I had the Belkin router set as just another router, but I then tried turning it into an access point and the problem still persists, but possibly not as bad (internet doesn stop working completley like it did as just a router.)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your setup should be:
Netgear Modem > Belkin Router > All other PCs and devices. Actually, to the PCs, xbox, etc...the gateway should be the IP of the router.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

is that possible with the setup in my house?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

why are you using the router? If it's from a lack of ports you could just use a switch and have the Netgear run as a DHPC server........ just an idea
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't why it wouldn't be possible. Just put the modem and the router next to each other. Wherever you can't run cables, use wireless.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, if I just switch the Belkin router with a switch, my problems should be solved? Isnt setting the belkin router as an access point like setting it to be a switch?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to be sure that I'm not missing anything, let me ask a clarification question. Is the netgear device your modem? That's what it said when I put the model # in google.

If that's the case and you put the router directly behind the modem with all devices behind that, the router is still doing router functions. A switch would be used if you had more wired PCs or devices that needed an IP address than the router could handle.

So, if the router's IP is 192.168.0.1, that IP get's put in as the default gateway on the PC's if you're using static IP addresses. Otherwise, let DHCP run and that's it.

Anyway, that's what I recommend. There shouldn't be any interruption in the connections.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts