computer acting up

• sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: not available

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok so my computer has been acting really weird lately...

first i get this file called ~. Windows says it does not recognize this file so i turn it to ~.txt to see if it is anything important. everything seems to be running fine and i open it up in notepad and see little symbols, so i forget about it and go to bed. so today i go on my computer and go to ozzu. then i start to notice how allot of peaoples signatures are not showing up for me and i cannot view certain web pages. so i think its probably spyware so i go to start>all programs>spybot search and destroy>spybot search and destroy (advanced mode) and i click it. nothing happens. so i wait a few seconds and i click it again, still nothing happens, so i go to mcafee security center and click on it and have the same problem so i click on it furiously untill i retore that ~ file (still a .txt) and it works, but with an error message saying the url needed does not exist. so i call in my dad and he says to delete the file again and then try it, i get the error message, but it works. so i run a virus scan and i have 2 viruses called New AOL. so i quarantine them (because it said they could not be cleaned) and every thing works fine except for the problems i had before. so i delete my temporary internet files uninstall AIM delete a bunch of useless files i dont need (image files, like smilees i downloaded, not from those "get free smileys for your e-mail" ads, but from going to ozzu and savin thier smileys, like the dancing banana) and i still have the same problems. i still get the error message from mc afee and sometimes it still doesn't work. and when i tried to go download the latest version of aim, i registered the screen name, but when i came to the download page i got "this page can not be displayed"

i also deleted the new aol viruses and thethat didnt help either

any suggestions? :wink:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the tilde file is appearing on your desktop (that's what the little squiggly ~ is called) it is probably a backup of your Outlook Address book:

http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

and as noted in the article is a result of installing this patch via critical updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dow ... fault.mspx

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the viruses or other problems. Those are probably unrelated.
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, everythings ok now :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that's great and glad you got it! However, if you could provide additional info about what was done to resolve it, that would be extra special. People read these posts months from when they are posted via Search engine results, and it would help others and OZZU if you provided some explanation of what you did to resolve it.

Thanks.
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

all did was delete a bunch of files (useless ones. like image files) then i uninstalled aim. after that i deleted my temorary internet files, and then restarted. this cleared up my internet and mcafee problems... as for spybot :(
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, good job. Ive always wanted to post a sticky that people are required to read before they ask questions. It would read:

Run antivirus
Run spybot
Run adaware
Uninstall AIM

To me, doing these four things gets rid of a lot of troubles. Im not saying this about your problem, but just in general. They are just basic troubleshooting tips that most people dont think about doing before asking for help. :)
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i still think im going to reformat

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts