COMPUTER HIJACK!!

• nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Paris

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer has been hijacked!

Everytime I visit a website the same banner ad keeps appearing, often replacing the actual website's own banner ads. It is incredible. My up to date virus scan finds nothing. The system works fine otherwise.

Ironically the banner leads to a page where they sell an uninstall software! What a rip off. http://www.unistaller.com

ONE THING IS CERTAIN: I WILL NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCT!

How do I counter this computer highjack?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant to write: http://www.uninstaller.com <--- The big rip off site.
  • Nodscene
  • Nodscene

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like it's probably just some form of spyware etc. My advice is to get AdAware for your comp. It's free and does a great job. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed and ran Ad-Aware 6 with no results. I know this is a browser problem because the banners appear even when I just open the html file on my hard drive. After a few seconds the browser just substitutes the banner I put in with another banner. IT IS INCREZDIBLE BECAUSE NEITHER MY UPGRADED VIDUS SCANNER NEITHER AD-AWARE DETECTS ANYTHING. :roll:

WHAT IS GOING ON ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually adaware is not the best spware detector and remover...

I've been using Webroot Spy Sweeper...
Now their is not free version for this one like adaware, but you can download a free vesion and only one update...

Try it...good luck
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT? WHY IS IT BETTER?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I found it, and I will compare the two products.

I just can't believe none of this gets detected by the Virus scan software. After all, these are viruses. I am beginning to suspect all this is just another ruse invented by those who make anti-virus programs to get us to buy more protection software. They probably wrote the spyware in the first place.
  • Nodscene
  • Nodscene

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sort of agree with you. Althoug they aren't really viruses per say they still screw things up on your computer. I am still kind of surprise someone hasn't come out with a half decent all in one product although VCOM does have System Suite which does come close.

I personally have never had a problem with Ad Aware and have even run Spybot Search And Destroy at the same time and it never found anything that Ad Aware didn't.

Another great program that everyone should have is WinPatrol. It monitors any new program that's introduced into your computer. It also lets you decide what get's started when you boot windows. A great little freeware program that is recommended by The Screen Savers. http://www.winpatrol.com

Good luck and if you need any other info don't be afraid to ask. There are some really smart people here who know what's going on
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a smart question:

I donwloaded the free software versions (of both software programs) and neither got rid of my adware. Will the paying version make much of a difference? Thank you. :roll:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it wont make any difference, it will however allow you to download updates regularly and also get a few more features that the free versions dont have.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

This means that I have something installed on muy browser which neither Ad-aware, spy sweeper, ou Panda virus scan can detect! This is outrageous. HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS THING? :evil:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this post on SpywareInfo's forum that might offer some insight to your problem.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=1124

I didn't see a solution in this post but you could try searching their malware forum. If you download Hijack This and scan your system, then post the log on their forum with a description of your problem, I'm sure someone there will be able to help you get rid of this.

Good Luck
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try Spybot search and destroy, it picks up several things that adaware doesn't.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might be a silly question but did you update both programs?

I had the same problem that you had and i found that if you run the scan with IE open it picks up loads of things. This is because some spyware does not run untill the browser is running.

I would also go to windows uninstaller and uninstall everything that you think is not suppose to be there. Be careful though and if not sure then tell us the name etc and we might be able to tell you what it is.

Adaware updates most days and spybot S&D updates about once a week, if the suggestions above dont help then it might be an idea to try again once more updates have been downloaded.

Spyware is so annoying and i am still getting the odd one, the reason being that i downloaded loads of crap (including kazaa!) which i have now uninstalled.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

GENTLEMEN:

I found the solution. It is called "Highjackthis". It does what the other programs (adware, spybot, etc.) could not.

Anybody who encounters the problem, run HIGHJACKTHIS and delete anything that looks suspicious. It works.
  • citizen
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hijack This differs from adaware and spybot in that it scans your registry for new values and keys (had trouble wording that). be careful what you delete though some things look like obvious spyware but turn out to be windows components (or useful things like the google toolbar). Deleting things in your registry is best left to people who know what their doing.

Not saying anyone here doesnt, just be careful.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts