Computer problem

• wangler
  • Born
  • Born
  • wangler

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there im new to the site i wonder if anyone can help me.
I can currently access the internet but it wont allow me to download automatic updates, also msn and other messengers refuse to work. I trouble shooted them and they say that my default gateway is offline.
I consulted a few friends and they suggested that i run a virus and spyware scan which came up clear. My firewall has been set up to recieve these updates and to run microsoft but still no joy. I even tried running it without the firewall and that didnt work either.
Someone else suggested i run the winsock program and that didnt work.
Im currently using a usb modem adsl. Ive run a ipconfig to bring up the details so if you can help you can see whats what with it. Ive also tried to ping the ips and none of them bring anything back i just get a message of transmit error code 5 message.
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9089/ipjz9.jpg

Thankyou for your time and help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It appears your computer lost internet connection and assigned you a non-routable IP address by default. 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 are non-routable IP's. It's also why you don't have a default gateway assigned.

I would suggest powering off your computer, router (if you're using one) and modem. Then power them on in the order of modem (wait until it completely resets), then router (again wait until completely reset) then computer.

If that doesn't obtain valid IP info, then try disabling your firewall from running at startup temporarily and try it again. If that doesn't work, you may have a faulty modem and should check with your DSL provider. I just had a guy at work with the same issue and it turned out his modem was bad.
  • wangler
  • Born
  • Born
  • wangler

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, Thankyou so much for your reply. I followed each of your suggestions but i still didnt get any joy.
I just spoke to my service provider and they are telling me that the connection is fine and that the modem is functioning okay.
Is there anyway of actually assigning a default gateway?

Thanks again for your help
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really with DSL. Your IP address, Default Gateway and DNS servers are assigned by your DSL provider.

Two other things you can do:
1) Try replacing the cable between the PC and modem with a new one.
2) Go to device manager, find your network card and delete it. Reboot the computer and let it find and reinstall your network card. (Make sure you have your network card drivers available in the off-chance event that the wizard doesn't find the drivers). That should reinstall all of your protocols and fix whatever issues are causing the problem.

*note - Don't take for granted that the modem actually isn't bad. Verizon told my friend it was working fine when they checked it, but it turned out to be bad anyway. Most likely the port the PC hooked into. They could see the modem functioning fine from the outside, but he couldn't get out to the rest of the world.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts