My Computer slow to display disk drives & send to cmd slow

• stacyr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stacyr
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently when I click on My Computer I get the flashlight and it takes 30 -45 seconds to display my disk drives. Also the send to command takes as long, if not longer to give me the options submenu.

I have searched the internet and the various solutions do not work/apply.

suggestion 1 was to disable DCOM services. While that works, I get error messages trying to access company programs, so that is not the solution for me. Further, this new instance of slow display of my computer contents and the send to command have been working with DCOM services running until recently.

suggestion 2 was to disable Windows Image Acquistion service. I did have an issue with this a causing the same problem a while back, but it actually had to do with HP printer software. Disabling the hpcmpmgr.exe program in msconfig solved the problem as well as solved the problem of not being able to connect to my Canon camera. The HP program is still disabled so this is not the current cause.

suggestion 3 was to uninstall service pack 3 for XP Pro, but this was unsucessful.

suggestionj 4 is whatever the great contributors in the OZZU forum can provide as this has been routinely the best source of help!

Please reply, this is so annoying.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ozmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you scan your computer for virus and spyware? Do you know that viruses and spywares can significantly slow down your computer operation ? Well, if you haven't done so recently, then I would suggest that you scan them with the free AVG 8.0 edition. If you don't have the software, you can download it at http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
  • stacyr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stacyr
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Trend Micro's Pc-Cillin running in the backround at all times, which does a full scan weekly. I am also behind a corporate firewall at work and a the firewall of my Netgear router at home.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does this happen at work? at home? or both?

Stab in the dark says it happens at home. Most likely you have mapped network drives that it is trying to connect to. This happens to me frequently when I'm home. Fortunately I have VPN access and after I VPN to work, the connection problem is no longer an issue.

It could be vice versa as well. I have a mapped drive to another of my home computers and when at work, I get some connection delays while it is trying to connect to it.

If either of those sound like possibilities, you could try disconnecting mapped drives that aren't available and reconnect to them later when they are.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts