Computer stops responding

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had problems with graphics card a few weeks back and i had to replace my old graphics card with a new one otherwise my computer just wouldnt start.. I would press the button to turn my computer on but it wont start aslong as the old graphics card was in the PCI-e slot.. I bought a new graphic card then and things were fine.

Now yesterday i turned on my PC and its not working.. It works till it shows me the windows choices screen.. I select windows XP and then the computer freezes it doesnt do anything it just freezes and shows a blank screen. The windows loading screen does not come up. On the keyboard, when i press num lock and caps lock and scroll lock, i can turn on or off these lights while the computer is frozen.

Anyway i thought it was a problem with windows so decided to do a reinstall.. I put in my Windows XP cd and booted it up using it.. It asked me to press any key to boot from cd and i did and then it says something like Setup is configuring your hardware or something like that, after that my computer again freezes and stops responding.

Can someone help me out here? Oh and also.. Since 1 week i have been recieving errors about my Fan at startup that the fan fails or its too slow but it was working fine.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also i have tried all the modes safe mode, last known good configuration blah blah but its not working i face the same problem.
  • Craig_85

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before proceeding with any troubleshooting, make sure that the power supply of your computer is compatible with the video card or not...

If compatible, try reseating memory and CMOS battery, even try booting the computer with only one memory.

Also did you tried "Enable VGA mode" option under the "Advance Boot Menu" ???

//link removed
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally its running.. Its a hard disk problem .. Ive been having alot of harddisk problems lately.. I had my 160gb Sata stop working and now this 80GB Pata harddisk makes my computer run very very slow.. I disconnected this hard disk and i installed windows Xp on my other Sata drive 250gb.. and now my PC is working fine.. I have the Pata drive still connected but the windows is installed on the Sata one and i formatted the pata drive but it still makes my computer run slow..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts