Computer is suddenly slow

• Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I don't really know a lot about computers, I've had mine for about a year now and I've had virtually no problems with it until a few days ago I got a trojan from a prank web site. My Norton Anti virus program picked it up but now I can't find it, the scan said my computer was clean, Spybot and Adaware didn't pick up anything, I went to pcpitstop.com and that scan said my computer was clean too but now it's suddenly really slow. I clean out the cookies and temp files everyday, I did a defragment yesterday on C and D drives and I run a disk cleanup every few days but it's still running slow. Is there something I'm missing or anything else I should be doing? Or do I need to upgrade or buy more ram or something? Do you need any info about my system before you can help?? If so let me know and where I can find it please, thank you.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy,

It would be good if you gave us some info on your PC...

Actually, i dont think that the slowing has anything to do with the Trojan in a direct way...
Can you tell us what the trojan is?

I suggest you do some defragmenting and FIRST do a Scandisk with automatic fix option.
At the next start of your pc, scandisk will check it and fixes the bad structure files as well as indexes...probably this is the main reason of it slowing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, knowing which trojan it is would be most helpful in solving your problem.
  • Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the trojan from this site but I can't find it on my computer now so I don't know the exact name. I think it goes without saying, don't click this link!!

http://lotsalag.net/blbk/ //From ATNO -- don't click the link folks, Unless you want to play with the same problem. I just did to figure out what it is and it's definitely a trojan horse - In fact the name of the virus is Trojan Horse -- I'm checking out more details now.

Somebody sent it to me because it's a joke or something but it wasn't so funny when it infected my computer. :x

I know the url was part of the name, I'm sorry if this isn't helpful.

As for info about my system, all I know is that I'm running Windows XP, 1.70 GHz, 256 MB of RAM. Hope this helped somehow. :?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. Symantec/Norton nixed the thing on my computer, so they have the virus signature in their defs, but because of the name, I'm having a hard time finding manual removal info. The name of the virus in question according to Symantec is "Trojan Horse".

//Well it's definitely in symantec's virus list but very little to no info about it.

//P.S. Lesley18 -- I know it's not funny to you, but the little moving web page that comes up with the song and dance "You are an idiot" was kinda cool.

I'm trying -- if I find anything I'll let you know.
  • Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I thought it was cute and I laughed at it but then my Norton alert poped up and said it was a virus, lol. It is kinda funny if you think about it, but I just want to make sure it's gone. Thanks for your help, and I told you not to click the link!!!!!! lol. :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually it was histerical. I laughed pretty hard too, even knowing the virus thing would pop-up. Like I said, I clicked it on purpose. If Norton caught it and you got the pop message saying it did, it's either quarantined or deleted depending on how you have your settings. You should be fine.
  • Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well my computer hasn't been as slow lately, I guess it was having a bad day. It's too bad that site had a trojan because I wanted to send it to some people who would get a kick out of it, lol. It scared me first then I found it funny. :lol:

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it! I'll be back next time my computer goes squirrely!! :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

And thank you for switching to (what is that?) cyan? vs. that violet -- the violet was driving my eyes batty at high res.
  • Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually its deepskyblue, but your welcome lol. Sorry about all the pink, I'm a wimpy girl at heart, it's half sad. :roll: *waves* Thanks again!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

could someone send me removal instructions? My brother saw the link and visited it. I'm running a housecall scan but it hasn't found anything.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

So is it still slow? and what do you mean by slow? the boot-up....or just pretty much everything. Maybe you could show us your running processes as well, that is if it not fixed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
could someone send me removal instructions? My brother saw the link and visited it. I'm running a housecall scan but it hasn't found anything.

rj - The virus name is Trojan Horse. Norton has it in their virus definitions and catches it, but try doing a search for "Trojan Horse" *lol -- too many pages to look through! So far I haven't found any manual removal instructions.
  • Lesley18
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:

lol are you sure you didn't click the link I posted?? :p
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "you are an idiot.swf" is ubiquitous on the web. I've seen it in various forms. Often on usenet, after someone says something completely ridiculous, someone will respond with a link that has this flash embedded. This is the first time I've seen it with this particular javascript. Admittedly, I'm no expert with js, but I don't think there is anything destructive here, just annoying.

I made a few google searches for ' "you are an idiot" trojan virus' and similar, but have not found anything definitive. Just a couple of forums with little, useful discussion.

Edit: I did find this page which says this particular script is the JS.Trojan.Offiz.
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=58575

I've been playing around with this for a couple of hours, in IE and Firefox. It's slightly less annoying in Firefox. The window doesn't bounce around and I can close it easy enough. So far, I haven't had any ill effects. AVG doesn't detect a virus/trojan.

Cheers,
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mcafee also detects this trojan.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default. ... us_k=99905

Cheers,
  • Norton
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

i click on your link mate, but something happened my norton Protecter
disabled its self?? :shock: any one know why that is?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, I don't have a clue.
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's too bad that site had a trojan

I have Norton 2003.. I oppened the link and so far no warnings pop out of my Antivirus... the page did dance but I manage to close it by right mouse click + close. So far there doesnt seem that I have been infected.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember looking at that javascript. i don't think there is anything harmful there. just annyoing. I wouldn't call it a trojan in the true sense of the word.
  • Norton
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts