Computer Virus PLEASE HELP?

• Computer Misery
  • Computer Misery

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone please help me? I have a virus on my computer but it is a complicated one. When i go into Internet Explorer, i can be in there for 5 minutes before my whole computer shuts down. Also, after that happens and i turn my computer on and do a virus scan on norton, the computer shuts down again as soon as a virus has been detected. Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong and what type of virus this is. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I don't know what kind of a virus it is, but i would recommend making a backup of your important files onto a cd or something, and then reinstalling the operating system. that should work if the virus doesnt reside in the memory.

- The Maven
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds very much like Blaster worm. There is information on the worm and how to remove it here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp
I hope that helps, and I wish you luck with eradicating it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dittos Geekette...
  • Computer Misery
  • Computer Misery

Post 3+ Months Ago

We already know that it is not a blaster, have already tried the patch for it, we think it is a new virus, so if anyone has any ideas about this i would appreciate it. thank you
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's something new, then the best people to contact would be companies like Symantec.
  • Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ditto Axe :wink:

Symantec is mostly the first one to come up with how to remove and prevent the virus
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, and if it is something new, they're gonna want a copy so they can tear it apart and figure out how to protect against it :)
  • Computer Misery
  • Computer Misery

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked at symantec all day yesterday and could not find anything even remotely close to this, if anyone hears about a virus that does something like this, please let me know
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No no, if it's something new, you contact them to GIVE them a copy, and THEY will work on a method of removal/protection to incorporate into their anti-virus software.

That's how companies like Symantec learn of new viruses. People send them to them. If this is indeed something new, you need to contact them personally, not just browse their site :)
  • Computer Misery
  • Computer Misery

Post 3+ Months Ago

Send them what, you are not specifying what i need to send them
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The virus :)

Contact them, they will tell you exactly what to do :)
  • Computer Misery
  • Computer Misery

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tried the patch for the mydoom virus and that didn't work. A blaster worm gives you a warning before rebooting your computer and i don't get a warning and my computer shuts down completely after being in Microsoft Explorer for only about 5 to 10 minutes. IF anyone has any suggestions as to what to do with this i would really appreciate it. I don't want to have to reformat my computer, i would just like to find out what this is. Thank you
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already gave you a suggestion. Call/E-Mail/Somehow contact Symantec. Tell them you have a problem, and that their anti-virus software isn't removing it.

They will help you.

Your only other option, if there is no known cure for the virus is to format, and even that doesn't always fix it.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

format, and then reboot with windows boot disc, but power off before you try doing anything and let sit for a while. This will sometimes nuke memory lurking viruses too :-)
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you guys suggest using the "shutdown -a" command? I know this makes it so the computer won't shutdown so you can download a patch or use Norton's to get rid of it or something. But I think you have to do some other things first like set up a firewall... at least that's what I had to do when I got the blaster virus. I only suggested it because if norton's CAN find and kill the bug, then the only thing stopping CM from doing it is the shutting down of the computer. Am I right?

PS: Computer Misery, don't do this unless it's ok'd by other members of the forum. They are sure to know more than me about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts