Configuring Ram

• Messiah
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Messiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok probably would be lengthy , but was wondering whats the best way to configure your ram so its used right for every program. I have 2 gig DDr 3200 , but want each program to use it right. If you know what im talking about. Thanks.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

For someone thats got way to much ram ( there is a ton of articles out there ,about the effects on a lot of software ,when you go over 1.5 gig)
they degrade (that much ram is not great ,1 gig yea ,2 no .
but thats another story !
Most applications use ram to there optimum ,you don't need to do anything
I think you need to read a little about ram in your system ,and stop buying it . lol
Nothing needs 2 gig of ram ,,,maybe in 2008 .
  • Messiah
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Messiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea actually there are games out there that run better when you have higher ram, i wasnt going to go over 2 gig ram im staying at that.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't forget no matter how much ram you have you cannot turn off
pagefile (Virtual Ram ) even if you have to set it to 100mb initial and max
size ..you still need it (don't care if you have 30 gig of ram ) alot of software
looks for a pagefile ,and if they don't see one ,they get real upset .So if someone says you can run without one ,cause you have 2 GIG of ram ,then
thats the last time you should listen to that noob.

And another thing,there is no game out there that is going to use 2 gig of ram ....period . It's based on your processor speed ,and your video card ram (doom 3 for example) doom 3 has a level of adjustments
that can only be adjusted if you have 512mb of VIDEO RAM ,,and thats the only game yet out that uses 512 (2 gigs of system ram is not Video ram )
You have to have a 512MB graphics card ..with 1 gig of (system ram )you will be able to play any game out there for years to come ,the BIG difference is Video card ram ,and processor speed .
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh
  • Loc: atlanta, ga.

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello, this is for moc.
i just stubbled across this forum, glad i did. i have 1 gig of ram on my vaio. the virtual memory is set for 372mb for all drives. the recommended is 1138 for all drives. os is xp home i have it tweaked for more speed, but still appears to be sluggish. what should i set the v-memory at .ed7oh
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best way is (if have room on your drive ) is when you get to the ,Performance, Settings ,Advanced Tab ..Cause you said drives ,that means you have 2 at least ...When you get into the Virtual Memory box .
What ever is your C :\ drive with your operating system . you are going to
click the (No Paging File ) got it ,you do not want a VM on that drive with your OS (and sometimes you have to go into C: \ to see if it's gone ) and you will need to have unchecked hidden operating files..you no how to do that...next . Hopefully you did not put your OS on your fastest disk (doesn't matter ) now what ever H/D you have left that you think is the fastest ,or with the space ,you are going to click on that drive in Virtual Memory box, and select (Custom Size ) and you are going to set both box's ( initial and maximum ) to 2000. okay ..only one drive is going to have V/M and it's not the drive with your OS on it .

And make shure you hit the SET button at least 3 times for each ,,just to make shure it takes,,then hit apply ,and it will ask you to reboot..

See by taking the V/M away from the O/S that has the drive ,it speeds the OS up....and this is proven..

And don't let anyone tell you .you can run with out V/M ..cause if you had 10GIG of RAM.,, there is alot of software that looks for some type of V/M ,,and when they don't see it ,they sre not happy.lol

I myself run 4000 min and max on a 80 Gb Hitachi,and my stuff flies.

This is what I do ,when you remove the V/M off of the OS H/D ,defrag it again ,and before you install the 2000, defrag that drive then after you install the pagefile ,defrag it again..I no it will make your system quicker
This tweak dramatically improved my computer speed and I noticed even if I have 1 GB of RAM.

O&O Defrag Professional Edition 6.5.851 (you get 30 days) this is the best ,tho
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download809.html

Diskeeper Lite 7.0 Build 418 (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1207.html

fragdown 2.4 (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4182.html

What you are doing is creating a small ( Ram Drive),
do a search on that topic and you will see what I mean.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

MOC wrote:
The best way is (if have room on your drive ) is when you get to the ,Performance, Settings ,Advanced Tab ..Cause you said drives ,that means you have 2 at least ...When you get into the Virtual Memory box .
What ever is your C :\ drive with your operating system . you are going to
click the (No Paging File ) got it ,you do not want a VM on that drive with your OS (and sometimes you have to go into C: \ to see if it's gone ) and you will need to have unchecked hidden operating files..you no how to do that...next . Hopefully you did not put your OS on your fastest disk (doesn't matter ) now what ever H/D you have left that you think is the fastest ,or with the space ,you are going to click on that drive in Virtual Memory box, and select (Custom Size ) and you are going to set both box's ( initial and maximum ) to 2000. okay ..only one drive is going to have V/M and it's not the drive with your OS on it .

And make shure you hit the SET button at least 3 times for each ,,just to make shure it takes,,then hit apply ,and it will ask you to reboot..

See by taking the V/M away from the O/S that has the drive ,it speeds the OS up....and this is proven..

And don't let anyone tell you .you can run with out V/M ..cause if you had 10GIG of RAM.,, there is alot of software that looks for some type of V/M ,,and when they don't see it ,they sre not happy.lol

I myself run 4000 min and max on a 80 Gb Hitachi,and my stuff flies.

This is what I do ,when you remove the V/M off of the OS H/D ,defrag it again ,and before you install the 2000, defrag that drive then after you install the pagefile ,defrag it again..I no it will make your system quicker
This tweak dramatically improved my computer speed and I noticed even if I have 1 GB of RAM.

O&O Defrag Professional Edition 6.5.851 (you get 30 days) this is the best ,tho
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download809.html

Diskeeper Lite 7.0 Build 418 (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1207.html

fragdown 2.4 (free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4182.html

What you are doing is creating a small ( Ram Drive),
do a search on that topic and you will see what I mean.

Is there a way to speed up XP Home with one drive?
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is to evoweb.
go to majorgeeks.com and search for xp tweaks there are alot of them. i found many that i like to use. x setup pro this is a really good tweak. there is another, tweak xp, and so on. you just have to look.

ed7oh

ps. make sure that you remember your settings before you attack your system.
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is to moc. thank you . i am up and flying. if there is more on the subject let me know. i thank you again.
ed7oh
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

These here are 2 great programs real small ,and work great !
1) Pagedefrag 2.3 ,,,100 kb in size(set it to run on every boot,and set the countdown to 1 sec. after the first time it runs,then after that ,
it runs so quick ,blink of an eye, it will never bother you.and it will
keep your drives nice and tight. I swear by it.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download603.html

2) TuneXP : 921 kb ,,this one of the best little utilities you will ever see,bar none it has 2 boot defragers built into it that you run from time to time,, the first one is (Defrag Boot Files),and the 2nd (Ultra fast booting) to give you the fastest possible boot.Plus it has 23 other tweaks.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4194

This is one of the best pagefile debates ,threads.you will ever
come across ,at [H]ardOCP .

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... t=pagefile

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... t=pagefile
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

moc. i installed the tweaks that you posted. the tuneup xp and the pagedefrager. it doesn't seem to make my boots quiker in fact quite the opposite. it takes for ever to shut down and to start up. tell if i installed it right. the tuneupxp go's into cmd screen and just sits there it says not to reboot until finished but you wait and wait. i might not be waiting long enough. please let me know. ed7oh
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it should not do that ,at all ,,if you go to there site ,they have a hundred
page post ,on how everyone loves it.lol
what is your OS,and do you no if you have DMA enabled on your drive?

You are the first person that i have ever heard of thats does not like it ,but you have other issues with your system ,,something not right.

you have clear pagfile at shutdown enabled,un-enable that ,thats why your shutdown is so long,,,don't go checking all of those tweaks ,if you don't no what they do ..
And the pagedefrag is the stuff ,you got that set wrong to i guess.
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

moc. i have xp home. i did not tick the pagefile at shut down. i have been having issues sense i installed sp2. most are up and running. how do i check to see if i have dma on my disk. to answer your question on checking everything i did not. i let the programs install at there default. so how should the programs install. the tunexp is really wierd. if you would ,walk me through it. thanks ed7oh
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

,,, For EvoWeb. If your drive is NTFS ,then look this link over .
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/wi ... stall.mspx

And this :

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tiki/t ... ingleDrive
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

DMA Mode Enabled Instructions — Windows XP

DMA mode must be enabled for all IDE drives in your system.

To do this in Windows XP:

Right-click My Computer, located on the Desktop or in the start menu, and choose Properties
Select the Hardware tab
Click the Device Manager button
Locate and double-click the device for your IDE/ATA controller
In the IDE/ATA Controller Properties dialog, click the Advanced Settings tab
Under Transfer mode, select DMA Transfer mode, if available, and click OK
Repeat for any additional IDE/ATA drives
Click OK to close the Device Manager dialog
Close the System Control Panel
Once you have restarted follow steps 1-5 above once again to make sure "DMA" is in fact still set to enabled.

And if it does not stay ,go into the bios ,To access your computer's BIOS you must restart your computer. During the initial startup your computer will tell you which key to press in order to enter the setup program (typically DEL or F2 ) Press the corresponding key during startup. You should see an "Entering Setup" message. If present, make this change to your computer's BIOS:

Allow PCI Bus Masters = Enabled
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about the install on the tunexp. that is the one that is not installing properly. that is the one that i need help with. and let me know what i should tick and not to tick. that would be the utmost help. thanks ed7oh
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

all the dma settings are good i did not have to do anything but check to see if they were set properly and they are. must be something else that is slowing my system down. i would like to install the tunexp the right way. if you could help me with that one that would be great. ed7oh
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best way is for you to go here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=44608

And what problems people have had,and how to set it up
it's better for you to just read and see if any of it pertains
to your system ,cause I no nothing about what your running.
I hope at least your using XP with it..lol
  • ed7oh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ed7oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

moc. thank you for all your help. i will do what you sujusted. my os. is xp home i wrote that in one of the many chats that we had. go figure i don't see that one in the line up any more. thanks again. ed7oh

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts