Confusin with licensing on windows servers.

• rsn00
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rsn00

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, after researching online through microsoft sites I'm confuse on the licensing issue with windows 2000 & 2003 server. I understand that each OS requires a license. That's pretty much how all OS, Programs, Software works. What I'm confuse is that do I need a license for each computer that is on my domain? The only thing that the server does is GPOs, roaming profiles, and WSUS. It is not a file/print server. And there is no need for any computers to access the server.

Others told me I do if there is terminal client access involved. I won't be using terminal access. The server main goal is to set up GPO for the XP machinese.

Please explain.

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

YOu need to have a license for every copy of windows you have. If you have 3 2003 servers, you need 3 2003 sever licences. If you have 5 windows XP machines, you need to have 5 windows XP licenses. ect. ect.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, they want money for each client machine that will be connected to the server and each machine adds something to the cost. In your case it may not be required. I shut off client logging in services on W2K Server and that was the end of that but if you aren't using it as a file server, do you really need a domain?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

rsn00 wrote:
Okay, after researching online through microsoft sites I'm confuse on the licensing issue with windows 2000 & 2003 server. I understand that each OS requires a license. That's pretty much how all OS, Programs, Software works. What I'm confuse is that do I need a license for each computer that is on my domain? The only thing that the server does is GPOs, roaming profiles, and WSUS. It is not a file/print server. And there is no need for any computers to access the server.

Others told me I do if there is terminal client access involved. I won't be using terminal access. The server main goal is to set up GPO for the XP machinese.

Please explain.

Thank you

This server is also a Domain Controller right? If that is the case then each client machine does contact the server for authentication. Each client machine must also report its status as far as Windows Updates go, how else is WSUS to know whether or not a machine needs an update. Also, when the client machine logs on it polls the domain controller for group policy and security settings. There is more going on behind the scenes than you think.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may clear up your confusion. It's a little easier to understand than Microsofts site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_Access_License

In a nutshell, you purchase client access licenses. There are two kinds per user and per device. The link describes them. You basically want to choose based on how your organization is set up. Then you purchase your cals accordingly. Minimum if I recall is five.

The OS also dictates to a degree how many you can have max, for example 2003 Server Small Business Suite allows a maximum of 50.
  • rsn00
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rsn00

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG, are you guys kidding me. This is what I was afraid of. Microsoft sure knows how to make money. Shrugs, after all I've done to convince my boss to allow us to moved from workgroup to domain. Hmm, I don't think he's going to like this.

Anyways, just in case some of you guys may be wondering why a domain it's because all users are admin to their XP machine. This puts a burden on me when they redo their systems to what they like. Plus, I've only been here for a year and I can't count how many times I've already reloaded XP on the computers.

Okay, so I need CAL. Great I have about 52 PC. Would any of you guys know the price of each CAL on the top of your mind? Just wondering.

Thanks
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results. ... ind+it.y=0
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

My client went the other way, from a domain to a workgroup. The reason, as usual, was money. The owner didn't want to pay for a new server and all the hidden costs that come with MS.

Since there is no file sharing from the server, you could go with FreeBSD or some other Unix server.
  • rsn00
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rsn00

Post 3+ Months Ago

We currently have an AS400 which host all of our database and files. I only want the windows server to manage the windows machinese by using AD.

I thought we only need CAL license if we are using the server as a file server.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree with what don2007 said, you might consider using linux o get the job done. that answers your queastion about why bill gates was the richest person in the worlds, after the mexican guy though lol.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I said Unix, not Linux but either way, your boss will be happy with the savings.
  • rsn00
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rsn00

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, well unfortunately we don't know linus or unix so that will do us no good.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts