Connecting to my localhost WAMP

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Vista machine with a C: and G: drive.

My webserver apache/php/mysql is on the G: drive and I've added the 127.xxx.xx.x ip to my hosts file so I can locally access my php scripts by going to http://localhost.

However, I now want to access my php scripts from another computer in my house. All my computers are connected via a wireless router (some wired, some wireless) and are all on the same workgroup.

The ip assigned by the router to my Vista machine is 192.168.1.106, but going to
http://192.168.1.106/myphp/script1.php is not getting me to my scripts.

Do I need to change/add something to my windows hosts file?
Is there anything special I need to do because the webserver is on the G: drive?

Please let me know if there's any information I missed that you need that will help get me to a solution.

many thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

First try http://192.168.1.106 without the string after the /
Do you get to the page that way?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. I still have the apache index.html that says "it works" on the root and I'm not getting it.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

With my old setup this always worked. I just logged into my router and got the DHCP address of my server machine (then an ubuntu) and then any of my computers connected to the router could go to

http://192.168.1.x

and access the webspace.

I'm missing something with this new setup.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you use static IP address so you don't have to constantly look for IPs. Besides, it more secure.

Is Norton, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender or any similar programs running?

127.xxx.xx.x

Do the different quantities of the letter X in each octet mean anything? 127.0.0.1 should be local host.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I just couldn't remember the exact local machine loopback ip. Brain's fried. :-)

Pretty much all my machines have Windows Firewall active and a few have Windows Defender.

I guess I need to look at allowing access through Windows Firewall and test that , but

I'm really thinking it's due to the drive partition on my server where I have the normal C: drive and then a G: drive with the apache,mysql,php installed.

How does that ip know to look in the htdocs folder on my G: drive when accessed from another computer on the router?

My ubuntu server's var/www/ folder could be accessed via it's ip address in a web browser from other computers hooked to the router but it only had one drive (C:) that everything was installed on.

I will eventually set static ips, but usually my network is up and if they go down I re-boot in order and usually all the ips just get reset to the same thing. I wanted to see if I could access the htdocs folder on the G: drive of my WAMP before I went and set static ips.

Thanks for sticking with me. I know questions like this are very difficult due to all the differences in networks and configurations and I always feel like I'm leaving info out on questions like this, but currently my network is straightforward and no fancy stuff. All I know is that I could access my ubuntu server's webfolder from other computers on my router by just going to it's ip address in a web browser. Now, that's not working with this WAMP and the only thing I can think that's different is that the webfolder is on a different drive.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Disable all the firewalls for now. How can Apache be running on a non-system drive. It has to be running on C: even if the files are on G: You could always move the files.

I know what you meant when you said that Ubuntu only has a C: drive but I'm sure you know that Linux doesn't label drives like that.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured Ubuntu labels are different, but you got what I meant. I'm new to linux, but have been making some nice strides with Ubuntu and loving it, but it's still too hard for me to develop on the Ubuntu. So, I only transfer over to it once I get the code working on my WAMP.

It's my WAMP's windows firewall that's the problem. I disabled it and can now access it.

Can you give me an quick overlay of what I need to do to allow access but to be able to turn my windows firewall back on.

I'm sure I need to go to 'Allow a Program through Windows Firewall'. What exceptions should I look at adding?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Click add program. Look for Apache. If you need to click add port too, then add port 80 TCP or whatever port you set Apache to use.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That should have me fixed up. Thanks Don2007.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts