Connecting two LAN

• patrik
  • Born
  • Born
  • patrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does someone know how do I connect two LAN through internet. We have 4 computers on both sides and two routers with static IPs. I would like to share one program over the internet (which we already share over one of the LANs) and to play Age of Empires II.

I succeeded to open some ports on both routers and play Age of Empires II, but only with one computer on each side/LAN :( . That is because I just forwarded ports to one IP.

Please, if someone have any ideas let me know :P

/Patrik
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really have no idea of the answer, but just to provoke some thought are both sides all XP and are you using internet connection sharing? I'm taking a wild stab in the dark that you're right about there.
  • patrik
  • Born
  • Born
  • patrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

All computers that we use to play are XP but we also have some 98 and win2000. As for the Internet Connection Sharing maybe I was little unclear how our connection works. On one side we have, say 4 computers, in a LAN connected to a router which connects whole LAN to the internet. The other LAN works likely but is located in other city. Currently we use an ftp server to move files but we would like to connect both LANs so everybody can access at least one of the hard drives. The most important is that we cannot play Age of Empires II together between LANs. For the reason we would like to integrate both LANs to one through internet, if that is possible.

Thanks for all help
/Patrik
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK so what you are saying is you basically have two home peer-to-peer networks and want to connect the two? In network terms we'd call what you are trying to do a WAN (Wide area network) but I've never done it without a server involved, so still not sure what to suggest. Just trying to get things straight so others can offer you good help.
  • Laberinth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Laberinth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, It sounds like what your looking for is a vpn from one LAN to the other.
Windows XP supports one dial-in connection which would enable you to connect to the computer over your existing internet connection and share resources at either end.
The best way to do this is setup an XP machine on one LAN to be the vpn 'server' and one XP or 2k machine on the other LAN to 'dial' into it.

On the PC you want to setup as the server:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections, once in here click on 'Create a new connection'. In the new connection wizard select 'Accept Incoming Connections' and click Next, choose the connection they will be coming in from, on the next window select 'Allow virtual private connections' click next and select the user(s) you want to allow a connection to. (If the username doesn't exist here you can add a new user by clicking on the user accounts icon in the control panel), on the next screen select the network components you want to use for the connection, normally this can be left at default, then click next and finish.

On the PC used as the VPN/dial-in client:
Go to Start > Run, in the run box type 'rasphone' then click OK.
Click on 'New' to create a new connection and select 'connect to a private network through the internet' and click next, if you have to dial a connection to connect to the internet select your dialup connection fron the dropdown list, else set it not to dial one.
I'm assuming you have a static IP for both ends so enter in the IP address of the XP machine, if you are running NAT use the IP Address of the router and setup a rule to point the VPN to the XP machine, type a name for the connection then click finish.
now in the Network Connections Window select the connection from the dropdown list and click 'Connect' enter in the username and password of the user you chose on the server and click 'Dial'.

As long as both ends are connected to the internet this should now connect to the XP machine on the other LAN
  • patrik
  • Born
  • Born
  • patrik

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your help, but I still have two problems...

1. When I setup the VPN server on one of ours WinXP, then it cannot connect to our main server (win2000). And as soon I delete the icon with VPN server then the win2k is visible. Do I have to setup the VPN server on w2k?
2. Which ports should I open on our routers in order to make connection work? As for now the connections does not work, and I suppose that it depends on the fact that the computers does not pass through the routers.

/Patrik
  • Laberinth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Laberinth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi sorry for the delay,

The ports you want to have open for vpn are:

TCP 1723
UDP 4500
It can help to open up port 500 for IPSec connections

The VPN server can either be a windows XP or 2k Machine, here is a bit more info on setting up the connection incase I missed anything.

http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/netadmin/0,39035505,39050037-39000223c-1,00.htm

Or

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

The Microsoft approach, see 'To Configure An Incoming Connection To Use TCP/IP'

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/conn_incoming.mspx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts