Constant Blue Screens

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Over one day (on average) I get about 6+ blue screens... every time my computer blue screens, it takes about 10-30 minutes to turn the computer back on. (Sometimes it blue screens and then blue screens again while turning off from the previous blue screen)... it blue screens during the boot process.

I'm not sure on what I should do here, but I think most of the problem is coming from my graphics card (is that even possible?). I watch a youtube video, then everything freezes (I can move my mouse, but the video is frozen like it's paused but the sound keeps on going, and then a few seconds later the blue screen). Everytime it blue screens it gives a different reason why... either something is negative or not equal or something else entirely...

Where can I start to at least determine where the problem is coming from so I can replace the defected hardware before all these blue screens ruin my entire computer.

Like I said, I suspect it to be the graphics card.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely sounds like a video card problem. Does your motherboard have on-board graphics (i.e., do you have a VGA port elsewhere other than your video card)? If so, remove the video card and hook your display up to the on-board port and try and reproduce the problem. If you can't, you've found your culprit.

If you don't have on-board video (most motherboards do), then you'll have to borrow a video card to try this.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, my motherboard does have a VGA port, but I'm currently using HDMI so I need to find my VGA cable to test it out. Not sure why I haven't thought about this myself... seems like common sense now that I hear about it :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the VGA and tried it on the motherboard port and it didn't work. I have VGA port on my graphics card that I use and I tried it as well, but all I see is the background image of my desktop, but no toolbars or icons that are on my desktop.

Only HDMI works properly (up to the point it crashes) but now I got a new problem that is slightly even more irritating... my monitor doesn't know where the border is.

Let me explain... you know how when you move the mouse up as high as you can, the mouse goes to the point where it stops? Well, that works properly for me, its only on the right side... I can keep moving it right for days and it will keep going... then it will take me days to get it back to the visible screen :lol:

You think that's not much of a problem... just don't keep moving it right, but for some reason if I happen to move it to the right of the screen when I try to close a window, my mouse seems to teleport or something farther right and it takes me about 10 seconds of moving the mouse left to get it to the visible screen again... kind of annoying.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

A little update... my computer just crashed and when I turned it on for the next 30 minutes the graphics card wouldn't show anything... my monitor kept flashing "Check Signal".

I think I need a new card :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just rolled back the driver for the graphics card so keeping my fingers crossed since I'm broke and don't have any money for a replacement.

My Graphics card is AMD ATI Radeon HD 5450 but my Device Manager listed it as EAH 5450 and now, after the rollback, it lists it as AMD ATI Radeon 5400. Don't know if this could be part of a problem, or just the update changed the name of the graphic's card something.

This started happening after I reinstalled my system (for no real reason, but to get all the junk off my computer the easy way). I used the System Image Backup DVDs that I burned off the backup utility on the very first day I got the computer.

In fact, the very first thing I've done was make these DVDs (As well as a Repair Disc). I did this even before I setup my desktop (Computer asked me if I wanted to write those DVDs and since I had some DVDs on hand, so I spent some time burning those DVDs).

I don't know if this could be part of the issue or maybe the graphics card/video card (whatever you call it) is just going bad. Hopefully it's not going bad and just the wrong driver.

If it's going bad... anyone want to donate a couple hundred? :mrgreen:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just re-installed the graphics card driver and that seems to have fixed the problem. My computer has being on for more then 12 hours in a row and not a single BSOD!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

99% of the time, it's crappy device drivers every time.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, after about a ~2 day dry spell, the blue screens returned... not as frequent, but they're here nonetheless... and what makes it worse is that I'm trying to burn some DVDs for my parents that they need and my computer BSODs during the process... I already ruined at least 2 DVDs if not more.

I think I may need to change my graphics card :( but I don't have any money for a new graphics card :(

Oh well, thanks for reading about my problems :/
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

check ebay, you sometimes can get lucky with a deal. someone has upgraded and selling the old one.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok... what kind of graphics card do you guys recommend?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the fastest one in the world is about 800 so cards are getting cheaper.

I am using a NVIDAI GeForce GT 430 which has 1gig DDR3- and 4gig total memery.

That on top of my AMD Athlon 2 x4 640 Processor 3.00GHZ

8gig G skill gaming ram

the card and gaming ram was 180 total out of a local computer shop. I can play most games on max settings with still no lag. Most games i play on high use about 50% of that card's resources.

This is one of the lower end cheap cards too and it does a great job. Photoshop works wonderful rendering.

Just get something a few levels bigger that has enough room.
  • IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont assume its the video driver and start messing with it. Horrible troubleshooting steps posted all over here. Blue screens tend to happen alot because of drivers, yes. I have worked on over 5,000 laptops and desktops, I have created custom images to deploy accross multiple domains. Right click on my computer, goto your event viewer, check the system or application logs, look for the errors or system crashes. Your computer will spit out some codes i will need to see. it wont hurt to check your drivers either? has anything changed? new devices, driver updates? is this an install by you or Manufacturor?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep getting "ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics" when I reinstall the graphics card drive even though my graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5450... I select the driver for ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics and instal what it gives me but its giving me the ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics... not even HD.

I plugged in the VGA cord to my graphics card and removed the HDMI, and so far, so good. I removed a loooot of dust from my graphics card fan last time I removed it (like 2 days ago) and after that it has being getting better... I can now can get on for a few hours on my computer without it BSODing on me rather then around 5-30 minutes like it was last time. Moving forward :lol:

@IT-Tech this started happening around the time I re-installed my computer... I don't remember if I re-installed my computer because of the BSOD or not (I don't think so) but now the graphics card driver is not the HD 5450 like it's supposed to be... but some 3000 graphics that is not even HD (And I was using HDMI).

I have a lot of kernel power criticals in there but thats because I force shut down after it BSODs. (Press and hold the power button until it turns off) because the computer doesn't turn back on after it BSODs.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is an update to this problem. Seems like it mostly happens around the time I use Flash.

I look at the Event Viewer Application Errors and I see:

Quote:
Failed to Initialize WMI Core or Provider SubSystem or Event SubSystem with error number 0x80041001. This could be due to a badly installed version of WMI, WMI repository upgrade failure, insufficient disk space or insufficient memory.

When I see the BSOD I sometimes see MEMORY_MANAGEMENT thing there...

Here is a System Warning:

Quote:
Windows failed to record Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) information, which describes the scope of Group Policy objects applied to the computer or user. This could be caused by Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service being disabled, stopped, or other WMI errors. Group Policy settings successfully applied to the computer or user; however, management tools may not report accurately.

Attachments:
Computer Properties.png

My Computer Properties... Processor and Installed memory (RAM)???

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is very strange, seams that windows does not detect what you got. recover your files and install again from a fresh copy of windows. I have never seen that in w7.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I reinstalled my computer and everything seems to be working properly now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts