copying files from old computer to new, what is desktop.ini?

• Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm copying files from my old computer to my new one. Both are Windows Vista. What exactly is the desktop.ini file it is asking to overwrite? I wanted to just ignore ONLY the desktop.ini files and copy everything else, but it's too hard to say that, so I just told it to copy everything. (Talking about 20,000 files here.)

So is desktop.ini just system settings for that particular folder that should transfer no problem?

The old computer was 64-bi, and the new was 32-bit, but other than that, both Windows Vista.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't want to copy that file. The new PC has it's own.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Leaving behind that file is going to lose any customizations done to the folder it was in, isn't it ?

Would it be a hassle to rename all of them to "old-desktop.ini" before moving them so you have both of them on the new system, those and the ones the new system creates ?

They're simple text files. If you at least save copies of them it should be easy to splice the two together if you discover you're missing something in the customization department later.
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem was I couldn't find those files, not even with Windows showing the hidden and system files.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts