Cursor jumps to other position when writing text

• Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I am using Word or Outlook, my cursor will suddenly jump to elsewhere in the line (or to the previous line), with the result that I find myself typing in the middle of wording I've already written. I have rebooted several times, but the problem continues.

Solution?

Thanks! :D
  • eagle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eagle

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your cursor works on battery's just put in new ones
  • mikey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mikey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Batteries?

Are we talking about the same thing :?:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Involved wrote:
Batteries?

Are we talking about the same thing :?:

I think that suggestion was based off of whether or not you have a wireless mouse (which would require battery replacement.)

I've never seen your problem before and can't really find anything on it. I can't find anything on it at the moment. Sorry.
  • eagle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eagle

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use one with batteries and i have the probleme when my batteries are allmost empty
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you're right about the mouse. But that's not the problem (which, BTW) keeps happening even as I write this post :(

If anyone has a clue why this is happening, please let me know.

(BTW, I hope you let me stay on this Forum, LOL...I'm a Jets fan. I'm bracing myself to see the gladiators versus the lions -- and we're not the gladiators).
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eagle...My mouse is fine and this happens whether or not it is plugged in. (I use the touchpad to move the cursor.) Why do I get all the weird computer problems? I feel like I'm a beta tester for new bugs! :lol:

Are you in Tokelau? I just looked it up on the Web. If so, which atoll?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Involved? Are you on a laptop? I just noticed that you said "touchpad" What brand?

I have another post here elswhere (not looking it up at the moment) but I was having severe problems with my Gateway when I came home. At work I use wireless, but at home hardwired to cable modem. At home I have both mouse lag and funky keyboard issues. The touchpad is Synaptecs, and I have come to suspect that there may be some XP SP2 compatability issues.

I feel your pain.

//edit -- BTW --Go Steelers! (sorry -- couldn't resist.)
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your laptop keyboard may be at fault. Try plugging in an external keyboard and see if the problem still occurs.

If you're already using an external keyboard then try a different one. I had nearly this exact problem with a laptop at work recently.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! I am using a Dell Inspiron 8200. The touchpad is by Alps.

Later, I am going to re-stall the apoint.exe driver and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try the external keyboard idea.

:)
  • mikey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mikey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Involved wrote:
When I am using Word or Outlook, my cursor will suddenly jump to elsewhere in the line (or to the previous line), with the result that I find myself typing in the middle of wording I've already written. I have rebooted several times, but the problem continues.

Solution?

Thanks! :D

this happens to me sometimes (i use a touchpad on my laptop)

what i do is to make sure i move the mouse pointer 'off screen' when i am typing. This seems to do the trick for me.
  • Xiongmao
  • Born
  • Born
  • Xiongmao

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that this is an old post, but lot of poeple still get this trouble.

I have checked lot of forums, this problem looks happening only on laptop, so I suppose it should have something linked to the touchpad.

I didn’t trusted the generic driver from MS, and installed the latest appropriate driver (win7 64b) from Synaptics.
Everything works well now!

Synaptics website => support => drivers

Hope this tips can be useful for anyone who get this annoying problem!
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xiongmao...Thank you for the suggestion. I do not remember what solution solved the problem for me five years ago (I probably purchased a new laptop, :lol: ). However, you are correct that your advice may help someone else with the same problem. :D -- David/Involved

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts