Dear GOD help me! Windows Xp prob

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this is a windows xp problem that is just the strangest things i've ever had happen.... I hope I can explain this in some way or form... It all started when I went to some ftp:// site I visited to gather software... now all of a sudden everytime my local area connection to the internet is on certain windows freeze up when opening it .... Ex. only when i go to the start menu then click on my computer, click to open it, it just freezes.... it'll open 5mins later! wtf! Dont know if some setting got screwed up... Here is the real bugger about this whole thing when i click on the my computer document it looks like it's searching for the file on the internet!!! not good.... I've tested it and its looking up something.. I dont know what went wrong I changed nothing to any server settings... (note) I'm not set up for sharing or running any lan just hooked up to the router for internet use..Please help... not the best on any server side of work...
I'm connected to a linksys wireless router
my computer connects to it through a EtherFast 10/100 lan card
Thankyou SycomCOmp
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok here's some more information... I did a Network Diagnostics and this is the failed sectors...
This one concerns me

DNSServerSearchOrder (FAILED)

68.46.144.5 (FAILED)
Pinging 68.46.144.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 68.46.144.5: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=11
Request timed out.
Reply from 68.46.144.5: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=11
Reply from 68.46.144.5: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=9
Ping statistics for 68.46.144.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10
This is what i think is the Ftp:// site I visited and I believe is causing the errors... hope this helps
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don''t know what's happening with your system, but the first thing that I would do is reboot and select F8 during boot to boot to the "last known good configuration"...(I'm assuming that's a boot option since Windows XP shouldn't be too different from Win 2000 -- not sure -- I've never used XP).

As a side thought, It may be that your ISP's DNS servers are down, but that certainly doesn't explain what's happening with My Computer.

*shrug -- I'd try the reboot first.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the reply
I've tried restoring the computer to the day before.... did nothing
I got this thing nailed down to a symtom it's got to be my accounts configurations I created another user name in administrator mode.... got on the internet and was able to access my computer... My other account is still screwed up... Anyone good with user accounts? It would be usefull (I'm still working on it right now)
thanks SycomCOmp
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much of a pain is it to delete it? And then recreate the user? don't forget to also delete the user dierectory as well (usually located in the "users" folder...depends on how you set it up.) Might want to do some backups of important info first.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i was thinking of that.... but..... :cry: hmmm I'd like to sit this out because I've got all my fav links, a couple of files, and stuff set up in my account.... Is there a way to go back to defaults in the accounts profile? if so it would make this a whole lot easier... of course i could always create a new account and just copy and paste everything from the one account to the other... (if that's ok please tell me if that'll screw things up) :o Just wondering what caused this problem in the first place.... :x I'll leave this open to suggestion untill tomorrow then it'll be done...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I would do is copy, the admin (or another known good user's) profile into the "bad" usuer's profile (make it mandatory)...I know this can be done (I think I remember via, my computer -- I can't remember what it's named, but I think it's the last tab on the right. It's been almost 4 months since I looked at a Win2K OS and never have played with XP, but I think that option might be worth looking into.

Perhaps someone else with more Win2K or XP admin experience can give you more specifics. That's the best I can think of to suggest.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks for you help I guess this will have to be done.....Unless i can find the one folder that controls the (microsoft windows network) I think that's where the error is comming from....
I'll have to search around wish me luck :roll:
later sycom
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you try and just run the Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware. The account seems like it is infested with Spyware. You can download any of these programs for free.

If you really want to delete an account. You can go to My Computer, Documents and Settings, "User Profile". You can copy any of the accounts in there and post them to a DEFAULT folder. Until you recreate the account. Then re-add the profile to the NEW account.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow this was an old post I had that surfaced from the grave :twisted: I resorted to just creating a new account and deleting the old one... couldn't figure out the error And yes I do use spybot now best program ever!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts