Defeating Windows XP Pro Domain Login - after being laid-off

• balithecat70
  • Born
  • Born
  • balithecat70

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I was recently let go from my company. I am a remote user, and typically login to a domain using a VPN or using the local cached profile from the domain. When I shut down the computer after finding out I was laid off - I didn't realize that the local cached profile was being disabled as well. I understand that I can't log into the domain any more - but disabling the local cached profile. Nice.

So is there any way to get my personal files - or am I out of luck? Will installing a new OS over top the existing one allow me to get access to these files - it is NTFS format.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will certainly loose your files if you reinstall. If your files were saved on you HD, they are still there. If you know the administrator password that you used when you first bought the machine, login as administrator and you'll be able to locate your files in C:\documents & Settings\$your_name$\.....

If you don't know the administrator password, reset it.
Click start, run, type compmgmt.msc , press enter, click on users and groups, users, highlight administrator, click action, set password. Choose a password. Then log off and login again as administrator with the password you just set.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't quite follow. Your local profile isn't cached like a domain profile is. You should be able to login just fine by selecting "log on to: {computername} this computer" from the login dropdown window. The only reason a domain login is cached is so you can still log onto the computer in the event that the domain is not available for authentication.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's true too. There should be an drop down options box under were it says password. Choose this computer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts