Deleted a file by mistake

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just installed Windows 7 and i was cleaning up my other drive which had the old windows data. By accident i deleted a file. The file is a TrueCrypt File container which was 15gb in size and i pressed shift+Delete and deleted the file by mistake. :(

Now i dont understand why this file is not showing up in any of the file recovery softwares. As soon as i deleted the file, I realized i deleted a wrong file and i wanted it back.. so i obviously havent re-written anything on that drive so the file should be there.. Its not showing up in any of the file recovery programs for some reason..

Strange thing is, I had copied this file from F to drive D a few weeks back and in the file recovery programs i can see the file in drive F as 0bytes but i can atleast still see it there.. but i cant find it in D drive even though i just deleted it hours ago..

Any Suggestion? :( I really need the data, I had 15gbs of private confidential data locked up in that file container
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The softwares i have tried so far are:

File Scavenger
NTFS undelete
Pandora Recovery
Recuva

and a couple others.. None of the can find the file in D drive but all show the file in the F drive which is where i had moved the file from, 3 weeks back.. And they all show that file as 0kb and when i recover it, I cant use that file obviously..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

since it's so recently deleted I would simply restore your computer to the most recent restore point. Since it's encrypted the normal recovery software won't be able to recover it correctly.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, I never made a restore point and i dont have any previous versions in Windows 7 saved either :(..

Am i screwed? Or is there a work around this?
  • pccare_himanshu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • pccare_himanshu

Post 3+ Months Ago

alamode wrote:
Unfortunately, I never made a restore point and i dont have any previous versions in Windows 7 saved either :(..

Am i screwed? Or is there a work around this?

Hi there

What you can try is a software named "recover my files"
U can install this softwares and run it and it will show the files which it can recover for you

Best of luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts