desktop checkmarks/win xp

• caric
  • Born
  • Born
  • caric

Post 3+ Months Ago

can someone tell me how to get rid of those checkmarks on the desktop shortcuts in windows xp ?
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think you can, The checkmarks show that it is a shortcut
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

EvoWeb wrote:
I dont think you can, The checkmarks show that it is a shortcut

Actually you can. I just did it on Win2k Pro and XP Pro SP2 just to make sure I typed the instructions right (I am assuming I am thinking like you that caric is refering to the little arrows that identify a desktop shortcut). I have done this before on any Windows OS and it always works.

WARNING -- DO NOT EDIT YOUR REGISTRY unless you know what you are doing. Make a backup of your registry first. Please learn to understand the registry and how to back it up first: http://winguides.com/article.php?id=1&guide=registry

You can find the actual instructions here:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/75/

Primarily these are the instructions that will remove the arrow from all desktop icons:

Quote:
To Remove the Icon:
Open your registry and delete the value named 'IsShortCut' from the keys [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile], [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut].

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is incredibly large. The easiest way to navigate to these three keys is to go to View in your regedit and select Find. Type in IsShortCut and hit F3 until you "find" those three keys. As the instructions suggest delete those three values from the right pane.

(If you haven't backed up your registry first before you try it, it's not my fault if you screw it up -- I warned you!)

After deleting those three key values reboot your computer. On reboot the arrows will be gone.

*note -- I've never tried the alternative hack to replace the arrow with another icon. I'm assuming it works, but since I have no desire to create my own, I can't speak for how well that one works. Heed the warnings in the link.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Right-click the desktop and select Properties. 2. Select the Appearance tab 3. From the drop down box labeled "Item" select "Icon" 4. Change the size from 32 to 30 The little arrows are gone!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- thanks MOC -- that is a little easier and less conducive to problems. I'm still a tad new at XP. Thanks for that.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can also use the free TweakUI powertoy to do this, as well as a lot of other little customizations.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... ertoys.asp
  • jiagsunod
  • Born
  • Born
  • jiagsunod

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah... me too, i suggest TweakUI above any other tweaker as it is from Microsoft too, lower risk of incompatibility with your OS.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles -- three methods to do the same thing.... Guess it doesn't get any better than that.
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

And I figured you couldnt do it lol
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, I learned something new. I knew it could be done in the registry (though didn't know exactly where) and have used TweakUI to do this very thing, but changing the icon size - now that's thinking outside the box!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts