Desktop Icons not executing in XP Home

• rockers999
  • Born
  • Born
  • rockers999
  • Loc: SA, Tx.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having trouble with my PC(XP Home). Really weird. When I click on any icon off my desktop that seems to require explorer to run, I get a brief disappearance of my desktop, then it returns to my desktop without executing my selection, i.e. My Computer, Internet Explorer, My Documents, Control Panel, or any shortcuts to folders. I have tried ending processes to see if maybe something that is running is causing the problem, but nothing works. I checked for viruses and spyware - there is no virus and had a limited amount of spyware. If I go to safe mode I have no problems exploring and can do virtually anything within the confines of Safe Mode. I also have AOL installed and don't know if maybe I got a bad update or something to that affect. In event viewr, which I can only use in Safe Mode, I have a couple of errors. The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C FROM LINE 44 OF d:\NT\COM\COM1X\SRC\EVENTS\TIER1\EVENTSYSTEMOBJ.CPP. The other is Volume shadow copy service error. Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = ox80040206.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

//moved
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your system files are probably corrupt. This link describes your problem to the letter:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7100/rh7193.htm

Follow the link to the article on reinstalling your existing copy of XP (It's actually a repair) or follow the Microsoft instructions themselves:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;Q315341
  • rockers999
  • Born
  • Born
  • rockers999
  • Loc: SA, Tx.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through that, but it seems that it may be the only solution. Thank you very much. Glad to see other Christians on this forum site. At least I think based on the signature at the bottom of the reply. Thanks again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know -- it's a pain to do it, and it usually gets scerwed up.

And you have idea behind the sig correct.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts