Desktop problem

• Karnexxus
  • Born
  • Born
  • Karnexxus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I was recently hit with a window that opens on my desktop warning me of spyware or something similar. There was no way to close the window - i even tried ctrl-alt-delete and i closed all the processes and applications that i could.. it still didn't go.

I right clicked the thing and i checked it's properties:

It says it's an html document that could be located at file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html

so i looked, and found the file.. i deleted it. But all it served to do, was make the window just a blank white one, instead of advertising whatever it had been before.

I used adaware and ran spybot... i even tried aol's spyware scanner... i still can't get rid of it.

For some reason after several reboots of my computer, the window has now reduced in size, but it still remains at the top of my screen, and i don't know what else to do!! Please help!

:(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What version of Windows?

If it's 2000/xp then try this:

Right click on the desktop, choose Properties. Go to the Desktop tab, select Customise Desktop, go the the Web tab. Delete all the items you see (unless you have web items you want to keep on the desktop)

If it's 98 or me, I don't remember off hand how to edit active desktop items. A google search should be easy enough, however.

If you're still having problems after trying this, let me recommend a good forum for discussion and removal of spyware/malware:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Good Luck
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Goto control panel - display, in web tab check if there's another page checked besides "My Current Home Page"

Hope it helps
  • Karnexxus
  • Born
  • Born
  • Karnexxus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou so much!

I've managed to get rid of it, by customising the desktop, as was suggested!

Again... many thanks! Much appreciated :)
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great! :) glad it worked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts