Desktop Suddenly Reduces in Size

• Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running Windows XP with 1280 x 1024 screen resolution and everything seems fine until, for no apparent reason, it snaps down to a smaller size at 800 x 600 (i.e., filling up the middle of my screen and leaving a black border all around).

I have dealt with this by going to Display in Control Panel, changing the settings to the lowest resolution, which returns the desktop to full size, then changing back the settings to my original 1280 x 1024. That's great...until it happens again.

Also, the Display Options offer two choices: My single monitor or two monitors. Every time I set it back to my single monitor, it reverts to two. (I only have my laptop; no second monitor, though I did a long time ago.)

I don't know if the problems above are separate or inter-related.

Any suggestions? :?:
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

What video card are you using? Are the drivers for it installed correctly? If it is a Nvidia card are you running the latest Forceware drivers for it? Latest Catalyst drivers if its an ATI? If you recently changed the driver try rolling back to the previous driver. In addition are you running any games when it reverts? Many games change the resolution to run themselves. Civilisation III for example changes the refresh rate.
But to me it sounds like a driver issue.. Its interesting you say that it appears to keep the monitor at 1280 x 1024 but reduces the display on the screen to 800 x 600. Like the display + black border = 1280 x 1024 I don't believe I've seen that before but that makes it sound even more like a driver issue. Check the Default settings for the driver as well perhaps? Some drivers allow you to set default settings for many games and stuff like that.
Doing a search currently of ATI and Nvidia's website for issues relating to changing resolution. Will post back with anything I find.

Alkatr0z
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much. I am running NVIDIA v. 4.2.5.8 dating back to 2/10/03. I'll try updating it this evening. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts