Device Drivers !?!

• hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have over 30 Gigs, 256 MBR, and 3 Programs to debug my system for robots, spyware, and viruses. I use a Cable Connection, but for some reason when I am doing more than one thing at a time, my system crashes. When I send the report to "Microsoft" They tell me a device driver needs to be updated.

but when I check my hardware profile, nothing has an "X" on it. What gives ?, how can I update the driver when I dont know which one it is ?
How do I know which device it is when everything is working properly ?

....Except for the crashing part.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

It just happened again, but nothing X'ed off in the hardware devices. No viruses, or anthing I can find. Any takers on this one ? I did a MS Update and I am current on everthing. Is there a program download that can check for system drivers ?
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

for those of you who might need a visual aide on this one i got one
here at http://www.create.mysitespace.com/error.jpg thats the message that I get, it just happened for the 3rd time in 2 days.

Should I just update every device driver ? I appreciate all the help I am getting too, Thanks Guys !
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

What version of Windows are you using?
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Admin.

I run XP-Home

but...I went to PC Pitstop.Com,...I ran a system check and got 3 yellow flags.

1. I had to Name My Harddrive
2. Update My Nivida Graphic Driver
and
3. Defrag my system.

No Crashes Yet !!!! We Will See...but I got all Checkerd Flags Now.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah keeping up with the latest drivers could definetly help, same with degragging your system. Also make sure that where your computer is sitting it isn't overheating. I notice that with my computer if its a really hot day and I have it really hot in the room, my computer will perform really bad, and crash numerous times if I do not keep it cool by keeping lots of air circulating throughout the room.
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the webstar drivers for this, I think 200 series Cable Modem, is weak, My processer can take more than the connection can give. But, I crash when I run certian ports. I can't diagnose no problems but, the webstar divice driver.

Webstar has a download site, that has an inactive link to the new driver.

Right now I am at 20-24 percent in running reasorces, but at like 85-95 is when I am pushing it.

Should I just contact the ISP about this Cable Modem, or maybe I can find a new cable modem and keep the same service?

I know that this is just a Device Driver problem, but how do I get past this problem?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ran into this problem a couple days ago. Did the Windows Update thing and installed the new Network card drivers that were supposed to work with the network card I had. Next thing I know I lost my internet/network connection. Looked at network properties and saw I had a new "active connection" I never put there. Had to delete it and reset the old as current.

Drivers are the biggest pain in the butt IMHO

Lesson learned...I'm not installing any more drivers from MS's Windows Update.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hiteckart -- try deleting all your "questionable" devices from hardware manager and reboot and let them redetect and reinstall drivers.
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try that and let you guys know what happens.

Get back to ya soon!, thanks for the advice.
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

and i am still trying, lol. Its been a year.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever considered formatting and reinstalling Windows & the drivers?

I'd forget the anti-spyware crap. Just don't install anything questionable. Assume that if it didn't come from a store or legitimate online retailer, it's got spyware and shouldn't be installed.

The anti-spyware stuff, anti-virus stuff, firewalls, etc. all running at once can consume huge amounts of processor power & ram when running simultaneously.

I just set this machine up that I'm on now, about 3 weeks ago. Install Windows, install drivers from the CDs that came with the hardware, or grab the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Install the software I need for work, install anti-virus, install the software I've been using for years that I know doesn't contain spyware, install a couple of games, setup my E-Mail, away we go.

Running nice, fast & smooth :)
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes these type of problems can mysteriously fix themselves. The pc I'm on right now had some weird problems a few weeks ago. 700 mhz pIII 256 ram 8gb hdd. I downloaded adobe reader 6.0 about ten times and every time the pc would lock up when I tried to install it. At the same time I would run an up to date nav scan and it would reboot in the middle of the scan every time. For the past few weeks its been fine though. Now reader 6.0 works great and nav is fine. I guess it just fixed itself because I didn't really do anything.
  • hiteckart
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hiteckart

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running a driver that has been updated 3 times. version 1.1.0.0 and the new one is 3.1.0 something.

I tried to download it from Sientific Atlanta's website, but the main file I need is password protected. My Cable provider said that they have no new disk to give me, so.... that means I am running an old cable driver on an updated OS.

Its like trying to get info from the US Government, and they give you the run around. Only One program feels the effect. It dumps physical memory when it feels the need.

I crash in this program atleast 15 times a day that I use it, but I will work it out. When I do, I will post what I learn here.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I ran into this problem a couple days ago. Did the Windows Update thing and installed the new Network card drivers that were supposed to work with the network card I had. Next thing I know I lost my internet/network connection. Looked at network properties and saw I had a new "active connection" I never put there. Had to delete it and reset the old as current.
Drivers are the biggest pain in the butt IMHO
Lesson learned...I'm not installing any more drivers from MS's Windows Update.

Stay away from windows update "updated drivers" unless its for a driver that wasnt digitally signed before and is now. The best place to get drivers is from the hardware manufacturers website first, and for older stuff http://www.driverguide.com . When you talked to the cable company about hardware support and drivers, they probably thought you meant the guy in the van who hooks you up. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts