DHCP Problems

• danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having some problems with the DHCP configuration on my computer. I am using my school network to connect to the internet, and my computers main problem is that it detects the networks DNS, but not the DHCP. I am thinking that the DHCP must have been switched off (but that is just a guess!)

My network connections window displays an active connection, but when i tried to repair it it displayed the following error message:

The following steps of the operation failed:
Renewing the IP Address
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names.

After further investigation, i found that my IP Adress is invalid (0.0.0.0) and the subnet mask is the same.

After struggling with this for almost a week, I would appreciate any help. If you have any further questions please let me know and i will try and get you the required info.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What operating system?
Have you tried rebooting at all?
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you know that it detects DNS? Make sure you are set to automatically recieve an IP.
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running Windows XP Home and yes, i have tried rebooting.

My administrator told me that the DNS was being detected. It is set to automatically recieve an IP address.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you ping your DHCP server IP?

Are you running through a router?
If you are running through a router, make sure DHCP is disabled. When your nic card sends out UDP broadcasts to obtain an IP, it gets it from the first DHCP server it negotiates with. A router with DHCP enabled could throw a kink into your computer's ability to obtain an IP from your school server.
  • stone
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stone

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 0.0.0.0 are often what you see if you are on a system using P.O.P.E and you check the NIC setting.

The correct IP address is actually done by the log in account on internet connection from the provider.

Not sure if this is helpful but maybe you are simply trying to connect directly and not using the proper log in procedure

Ken
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't know if this would help any but i ran a network diagnostic check and this was among the info:

DHCPEnabled = TRUE
DHCPLeaseExpires = 12:34:47 PM 8/28/2004
DHCPLeaseObtained = 12:24:47 PM 8/28/2004

I do not understand this info, but around the time indictated my computer was operating on network for a brief period of time. I do not understand DHCP very well, so I do not know why it would expire, or how I would go about reobtaining it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, basicaly what it is saying is that you have DHCP enabled, you obtained a lease at 12:24 PM on 8/28 and it expired an hour later.

That's not uncommon, because if I recall, that is the default setting in DHCP servers for the expiry. I almost always set mine to 8 days to reduce network traffic and I have no idea why a network as large as a school would leave it at the default.

My theory is that the DHCP server that your computer keeps talking to is maxed out on it's IP range.

I don't think it's a problem with your equipment, since the admin is seeing your DNS registration, however, he could be looking at an old entry. Since he didn't change the default in DHCP, he probably didn't change the Default for scavenging in DNS (which by default is not to delete old records).

One thing I would test if it's possible for you to do so, is try replacing your cable if you can.

My personal thought is your admin should get a little more involved in helping you solve the problem.
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion for the wires, but it was no help.

My admin offered to help me, but told me for him to extensively look at it it would be a minimum of 3 weeks because he has 50 other computers with small problems he had to take care of first.
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty much lost. Would re-installing the network card or installing a new one altogether fix the problem?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's your hardware possibly. Try this. Make sure you have the correct current drivers available for your network card.. Shut down and remove and reseat the card. Reboot. If you still come up with no IP, then uninstall the card from Device Manager. Reboot. It should detect new hardware and install the drivers. It may or may not ask you to. That should put everything back to the standard default settings and if all is working properly should obtain an IP. If that doesn't work, run down to your local computer store and pick one up. I just bought one at Circuit City 2 weeks ago for $5.00 after a $20 rebate. Try installing that. If that still doesn't fix the problem, it has to be on your network's end. Maybe you can find away to hurry him along to your problem.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you check for errors in you EvenLog? Use Event Viewer in Control Panel, check for any recent errors in System Log and post them here.
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a few error messages, i will describe them here in the order they occured:

The McSheild service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 times.

The SYMTDI service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The DHCP Cliend depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start because of the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

The first message occured when i was setting up the network on the computer. The following ones occur each time i try to repair my IP address.

Perhaps i should try re-install the McSheild service?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say so. Given that error, this is most likely the cause of your problem. (Or even try uninstalling - then test before you reinstall to see if you can get your IP back -- make sure your DHCP Client is Started in the Services Snapin. If not try to manually start it).

Quote:
The SYMTDI service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The DHCP Cliend depends on the SYMTDI service which failed to start because of the following error

Apparently, the McAfee Shield creates a dependency with DHCP. A service won't work if it's dependencies aren't working.

*lol -- I think you're getting close.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, maybe this can help you: :wink:

How to fix "Win XP DHCP client won't start because depends on SYMTDI service, which won't start"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice find Larz* -- That should work and fix the problem. Then he can go to his administrator and tell him to go take a hike, because he was too slow and he fixed it himself! *lol
  • danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got it! Thanks to you all for your help.

I realized that the SYMTDI had something to do with Norton Antivirus, which i had to uninstall in order to be on the network. Apparently there was still a DHCP dependency on the SYMTDI left over, so I had to go into the registry and manually remove it.

Now the fun part will be going to computer services and telling them how to fix the 200+ other computers with this problem. :)

Thanks again
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Nice find Larz* -- That should work and fix the problem. Then he can go to his administrator and tell him to go take a hike, because he was too slow and he fixed it himself! *lol

Thanks Atno. :wink:
ohhh! I wish I could be there just to see his face :twisted:

danc2033 wrote:
I got it! Thanks to you all for your help.

You are welcome danc2033, we're here to help :wink:

danc2033 wrote:
Now the fun part will be going to computer services and telling them how to fix the 200+ other computers with this problem. :)

You little devil, Go danc2033, Go!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts