Difference between Windows Home Edition and XP Pro?

• sl9799
  • sl9799
  • Loc: houston, tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now, I am just learning how to set up a network in my house but I am using Windows Home Edition on both PCs. All I am trying to do is share files between two PCS (a labtop and a Sony) and even share the printers but its not working correctly. I understand the difference between Windows XP Home and XP Professional is that the Home Edition is limited to workgroup network and unable to join a domain. Could that be my problem?

FYI - Right now, between the two PCS that I have connected to a router they both can access the internet with my current cable modem. I am trying to use the Sony as the server and it is the only computer that connects directly to the internet. The labtop connects to a router- the router connects to the cable modem properly. I've gone through the process of setting both PCs through the Windows wizard but the VAIO takes over 30 minutes and I get an error message at its completion! In the object section of that folder I see a Network Bridge but not sure what that is for? When I go into Network Neighborhood and do a Search Computers - it cannot find the computer name of my labtop. Now, when I go onto my labtop and try to go to Network Neighborhood it does search and find my VAIO computer but says it is not allowed to access the files - and no shared printers. Of course, the Connection Wizard on the labtop didn't crash like my VAIO. And yes - I do have my VAIO's printer file folder as shared.

I've search the websites for an answer to why the computers are not showing together and have spent an hour finding nothing concise on the matter. Please point me in the right direction. One thing as I am typing this out... I do recognize that I have Internet Security 2004 and that may in itself be causing conflicts as well...but any suggestions or good articles to be read will be appreciated! Thanks. Just Learning, Stephen
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the exact differences between the two from MS$ istelf:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... osing2.asp

As far as why they aren't seeing each other...did you set them both to be in the same workgroup? In addition, you need at least one shared folder on each computer. If you plan to share everything on both, just simply share your C: drive. I would never use the XP wizard. If both computers are connected to the router, all they should need is to be in the same workgroup and at least one shared file or directory to see each other.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

we have also covered this topic previously... this may provide some additional information.. :-)

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/difference-between-windows-home-and-windows-pro-t537.html

searched ozzu for "XP HOME PRO DIFFERENCES"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Gadget. I searched myself, because I remembered that, but must have searched wrong. The search option here is slightly lacking, but for the most part pretty good if you get the wording right. That was actually the one I was looking for.
  • sl9799
  • sl9799
  • Loc: houston, tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I did solve that problem BUT not sure how I did so.
Basically I doubled and triple checked my connections correctly to and from computers.
Then I went into Network Connections - Setting up a home or small office network to install a Local Area Connection Icon.

The final thing I did was played around with the QoS Packet Scheduler . I just started installing it and choose a protocol....which came up with a Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 on mine.

Then of course I wanted to get File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.... So that I could use Network Neighborhood to share my files. I'm not sure but I installed a protocol as well...

Sometimes even after you install everything correctly its best to reboot! You might even be better off changing and installing your settings.... and before you reboot turn off your router for at least a minute.

You'll be surprised that after you get your network up and running that you may, from time to time, have to turn off your router and cable modem and then turn it back on to get your internet running.

Finally...I think the most valuable advice I can give you is that Sony does have a website of fixes for a lot of your software especially if you have a VAIO. That may cause some conflict as well!

You may be able to find it on google...by typing in Sony downloads and the model number of your computer or on the following website:
http://www.vaio-link.com/Downloads/downloads.asp?l=en

I don't have the exact web address because my Sony is at home and I use my Gateway labtop at work. I hope this helps a bit...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts