Different? OE attachment problems?

• BubbaChubba
  • BubbaChubba

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, we've Googled the heck out of this problem, and we continue to get the same recommendation of changing the security preferences to allow attachments. We've done that, but our OE continues regularly not to receive multiple types of attachments (including standards like .xls, .pdf, etc.). We've tested receipt of attachments from two different computers to eliminate the possibility that it's a sender's problem.

Case in point: forwarded a (really funny cartoon about a kid wanting to outsource his homework to India) PDF to about 50 friends. Three can't open it - each have OE (incl. my wife), each tried the security tab fix, to no avail. Anyone ideas?? After a couple years of this we're fed up!

We have OE 6.0.

Thanks.

Bubba
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a firewall on the computer/s with the problem? If so review firewall settings.
  • BubbaChubba
  • BubbaChubba

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never installed one (or is it possible I have one and don't know it? I've no idea where to look!). But the other reason why I don't think this is it is because we use two mail programs: OE (my wife) and Outlook (me). I get and am able to read all attachments, including the ones we both get but I see and she doesn't :!: Thanks for the reply.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason I asked -- some firewalls, and also some Virus Protection can filter email attachments before you ever see them. I'm inclined to think the culprit may be along those lines vs a setting that needs changed in OE. I suggested firewall first, because I have my ZoneAlarm set to filter a wide range of file extensions that I know are potentially virus carriers. If you don't have a firewall, then run through the virus protection and see if there's something in there set to filter them.

The way you're describing the problem, it appears that you are saying that your wife gets sent the same attachments, but doesn't even see them? If so, then they are being filtered by something. Probably the Virus protection since you don't have a firewall.
  • BubbaChubba
  • BubbaChubba

Post 3+ Months Ago

That makes a lot of sense to me, except I don't see why the virus software would block OE attachments and not Outlook ones.

So I dug through my McAfee software, disabled the "Enable Internet download scanning" checkbox, and re-sent a couple different file types from our Outlook to OE - still nothing. But you can tell something's whacky, as the file size of the supposedly "empty" test e-mails according to OE are 1000KB (I attached a digital photo as PDF).

I really am out of my league here, but is it possible it has something to do with my ISP (Comcast high-speed cable)? The other two people that couldn't see attachments - coincidentally? - use OE and Comcast. Is there some compatability issue between OE and Comcast? Does Comcast have a firewall or virus protection or something?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to my knowledge. I'm on Comcast and use OE -- I get all attachments except the ones I purposely filtered.
  • BubbaChubba
  • BubbaChubba

Post 3+ Months Ago

And to remove the ones you purposely filter - you do that through your virus software or through OE?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do that through my firewall -- I'm sending you a PM in a sec
  • BubbaChubba
  • BubbaChubba

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I think I got it. Ever heard of this?

OE can receive any attachment (filters permitting) when the mail format is either HTML or Plain Text.

OE cannot receive it when the mail format is MS Rich Text.

Tried and tested with three different guinea pigs.

This talks about it roughly:

http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/mail/mail_010.htm

THANK YOU ATNO/TW!! (and my wife and sister....)

:scratchhead:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad you figured it out. I did check available settings in OE and it appears that it receives in plain text and HTML, but for whatever reason rich text attachments get filtered and the message is displayed in plain text. I had never hear of this, but I'm glad to know about the quirk. My company will be migrating to a Windows server environment this summer and we'll be using Outlook so now I know to warn folks not to send in MS Rich Text. You're problem helped me too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts