Different resolution for each user.

• JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way that each user on your computer can use a different screen resolution? Whenever I am logged in set it to 1600x1200 and then when my dad logs in it is the same resolution and he says he is too old to read the things on the screen because it too small and he doesnt want to have to change it each time. Hopefully this question makes sense.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get your dad to log in. When he is, change the settings to whatever res he can see, i.e. 1024x768 or 800x600. When he logs out those changes should be saved in his profile. Next time he logs in, they should be set for him, not you.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing you are talking about either win2k or XP, I found an article with link to utility specially for this issue :DHere

The way they describe it involves creating a shortcut to the program with parameters & placing the shortcut in each users startup folder.

The link they provide goes straight to the EXE on an FTP site & the EXE is 48Kb.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Atno ya beat me to it, has win2k & XP been updated to save per-user browser settings ? This is somthing i've yet to deal with but the article I posted says 98 was the last windows to save thoose settings. You know more about this one than I :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm...now that I think about it joebert, you may be right.
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using XP by the way.

But I just tried what you said. I changed mine to how I want it and logged off. Then he logged in and changed it to where he wants it and then logged off. And then I sign back in and it is set to the setting he just changed it to.
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried that link. I downloaded it and read the article on the site and it is just what I need. But I have no idea how to do it. Do any of you understand it and think you could help explain it? If not its no big deal.
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you both just use 1024X768?
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the space you get at 1600x1200 and whenever it is set at 1024x768 my monitor makes this high pitched noise.
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

The same thing happens on my XP.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in 1600x1200 on all my machines.. the girlfriend hates it.. She's still in 800x600 on her 15", heh.
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

JakeTheSnake, on your Dad's user profile you should go to Display>Appearance>Font Size and then choose Large or Extra large. Your own settings will remain the same.
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes but that isnt really the same.

Do any of you understand the instruction for using the program? I am not really good at doing that kind of stuff and I dont know where to start.
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm

Try this. I hear it jumbles your icons, so you should also download PC Magazine's WinTidy (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,22728,00.asp)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for the delayed responce :(

Here we go,

In an empty place on the desktop right-click and point to new then click shortcut, this will bring up the shortcut wizard (dialog with a browse button and a textbox) click the browser button and navigate to where you put setres.exe and click ok This will ask for a name for the shortcut, call it change resolution & click ok. it will then place a shortcut on the desktop to setres.exe

Now right click this new shortcut and select properties.
Where it says "target" you should see the path to setres.exe, after the last " enter a space then h1600 v1200 with the space inbetween.

It should look somthing like this,
Code: [ Select ]
"C:\setres.exe" h1600 v1200

Now navigate to your startup folder and place the shortcut there.
possible path to startup folder wrote:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

repeat while logged into the other user account (changing numers next to h & v of course)

You should now have your resolutions changed automatically whenever one of you logs on :D
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert, I tried that and it works, but it's really slow and the MS DOS box comes up and says, "Display settings are being changed as requested". It's really annoying.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

enzyme wrote:
joebert, I tried that and it works, but it's really slow and the MS DOS box comes up and says, "Display settings are being changed as requested". It's really annoying.

If you find one better be sure to post it, maybe even give an explaination of how to use it ?

I like this one, it's compact, able to work on XP & 2000 out of the box, doesn't save anything in the registry, uninstalling it is as easy as deleting the file and the shortcut, it's free.
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for the help. I didn't think anyone was going to respond. It works great. The only problem I had was the I had to resize and reposition the screen fro each use because it was alittle off.
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sto41/en/My%20T ... ttings.htm

I would use this one.

You simply download it, install it, and it's ready to go. You can simply change your settings in the Display settings the normal way and it will remember it. I've tested both joebert's and this way and this way for me worked a lot better; you don't see the MS-DOS dialog box.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about simply using Netscape where there is an option to increase (or decrease the size of the text you are viewing, regardless of the resolution?

...am I way off?
  • enzyme
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • enzyme

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
How about simply using Netscape where there is an option to increase (or decrease the size of the text you are viewing, regardless of the resolution?

...am I way off?

I know that in Mozilla or IE if you hold down the ctrl key and then scroll with the mousewheel then it changes the text size....maybe its the same.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts