Disable safe mode ?

  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, i'm curious about this topic for the purpose of securing my own pc, but is anyone aware of a way to disable the option to boot to safe mode? or to disable or change the button pressed to get to the prompt to get into safe mode | last known good configuration | etc. ?
thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6810
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doing this is not recommended. Proceed at your own risk!

Click on the Start Button
Select Run
Type in "regedit" and hit OK
Expand the left hand side to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot
Under SafeBoot, you should now see Minimal and Network. Click on them and hit F2 to rename them to "Minimal-" and "Network-", respectively.
This should cause Windows to crash the next time it is booted into Safe Mode
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2521
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha..sweet 8-) this is definitely going into my list of useful registry keys..
thanks.
  • Neo(theone)
  • Born
  • Born
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't tried Safe mode disable yet. But I am having a friend test it for me.
Is there any way to Write Registry keys into the Hkey_LOCAL_Machine area using visual basic? All the other code examples always point to the HKEY_Current_User directory, my goal is to get it to rename minimal and network, to minimal- and network-.

The reason is, I want to try to use system recovery console to fix this error in safe mode. Which Is why I must know how to disable safe mode and crash windows.
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Causing windows to crash isn't exactly desirable is it ? who knows what could happen from that... I wonder if there's a solution out there that doesn't involve "breaking" features of the machine and that isn't illegal (like hacking NTLDR), that is, since I need to use this for work related matters.. I have found this tool ( http://guino.home.insightbb.com/nosafemode.html ), and may be willing to try it out...
  • mooseye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mooseye
  • Posts: 21

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think setting a bios password is a fairly good way to secure a computer. It is possible to retrieve the password, but for a casual trespasser, it would be a good deterrent.
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

mooseye wrote:
I think setting a bios password is a fairly good way to secure a computer. It is possible to retrieve the password, but for a casual trespasser, it would be a good deterrent.


it sure is, but when the computer is used by many people (that you don't want to give your BIOS password to), then you need a way to prevent this people from booting into safe mode and bypassing the security applications installed.. I had been asked about this both at work and by neighbors who don't want their kids booting into safe mode to use the internet without the parental control applications running... ended up buying the application I posted earlier and it works well for my own use...
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 419
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

couldnt you just set a password for all the users? admin ect.

that way even if they booted in safe mode they couldn't log in :)
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

deathblade wrote:
couldnt you just set a password for all the users? admin ect.

that way even if they booted in safe mode they couldn't log in :)


That doesnt work when you're trying to prevent someone that already USES the computer (and has a valid user/password), from using safe mode.
  • paulh2011
  • Born
  • Born
  • paulh2011
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a free program that can safely disable the boot menu/keys, without causing Windows to crash. You can download it from winguardpro DOT com/nosafemode.html
  • itguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • itguy
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

paulh2011 wrote:
There is a free program that can safely disable the boot menu/keys, without causing Windows to crash. You can download it from winguardpro DOT com/nosafemode.html


Unfortunately that link is broken but I've found another great solution. It is Disable Safe Mode - Microsoft Windows command line tool (disablesafemode dot com)
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking at this "disablesafemode" but it really is not as complete as "nosafemode" is.. First: it only works on Vista/Win7 (no NT/2000/XP), Second: it doesn't allow you to boot into safe mode by typing a password (when you really need to, like fixing something, this is very nice to have).. Third: No password option .. Fourth: Pricing is about the same.. Fifth: Licensing terms are about the same... Finally: I'd try it (to make sure it works) but it has no "Trial" version...
  • kraymond78
  • Born
  • Born
  • kraymond78
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys i accedentially made that values on both of them not set can yu tell me the default values i hope people are still listening to this
  • dtramer
  • Born
  • Born
  • dtramer
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

itguy78 wrote:
I'm looking at this "disablesafemode" but it really is not as complete as "nosafemode" is.. First: it only works on Vista/Win7 (no NT/2000/XP), Second: it doesn't allow you to boot into safe mode by typing a password (when you really need to, like fixing something, this is very nice to have).. Third: No password option .. Fourth: Pricing is about the same.. Fifth: Licensing terms are about the same... Finally: I'd try it (to make sure it works) but it has no "Trial" version...



itguy78, did you actually try nosafemode? I tried the trial version of it and could not get the password option to work. According to the documentation I should be able to press ctrl-f8 and get to a screen and put in the password. Ctrl-f8 did nothing for me. I was trying this on windows 7.
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

dtramer wrote:
itguy78, did you actually try nosafemode? I tried the trial version of it and could not get the password option to work. According to the documentation I should be able to press ctrl-f8 and get to a screen and put in the password. Ctrl-f8 did nothing for me. I was trying this on windows 7.


Yes, I have licensed it for 2 companies I do services for. The option works (I'm unsure about in the trial version) but I also found that it is easier to make it work on some computers than on others (which require a few tries) - for the one time you need to fix something, it's acceptable.
  • itguy78
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • itguy78
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

That nosafemode site moved to:
http://guinolex.homeip.net/nosafemode.html
Moderator Remark: Fixed URL

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 87 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.