disappearing then reappearing

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had removed something like 295 spyware cookies files and reg entries from my wifes computer. We had let a freind 'surf' the net for a while, and I think she got the rest herself. Network has been good since.

Now on that computer for the past couple days when a folder was opened, sometimes the folder would close, desktop files would go blank, then rearrange themselves.

I haven't seen it resurface, but it didn't happen all that frequently, and I am looking to see if it will happen again.

Sound familiar to anyone?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if this is the exact same problem you are having but it might be worth a look...

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operati ... 76836.html
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that sounds like my problem. I have been searching for this issue, and I get a lot of people exclaiming that they have this happen to them. But I have seen the little bug they are talking about numerous times, throughout my windows expeirence. This is different. I am not sure how to explain it, but I have never seen it happen.

The article you posted sounds exactly like our issue, it happens when I click on a network folder I believe.

lol, I think I will refrain from the 10.00 a month sign up fee to view the solution though.

It is something I can deal with, I just hope it isn't anything malicious
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry Vlad. I forgot about the registration. Although I'm not logged in, when I go to that link and scroll down the page, I see the responses.

Here's the solution:

Quote:
You can find the Knowledge Base article here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp

You can directly download the Microsoft patch here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/rele ... seid=44673

I have installed the Microsoft patch and it seems to be working fine now; problem solved. I will give it 48-72 hours before I confirm that the problem is permanently repaired. I will add another post to confirm whether this fixed the problem.

I signed up for a free account there but I don't remember how off hand.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats cool, well I applied the patch, so I guess I have done all I can do for now and see if it occurs again.

thanks Jrzy
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem. I hope it works.

I had a similar problem a few months ago. Fequently, when I opened a folder on the desktop or from within another folder the desktop icons would refresh as well as the icons in any open folder. The folder(s) didn't close however. I wasn't on a network either. I never did find a fix for that but the problem went away. I guess either an update or a reinstallation in the past took care of it. If it happens again, I'll at least have this as a possible solution.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I am very anal about things like that, no matter how small..If the littelest thing goes wrong, I start freaking out and trying to fix it

I guess that is a good thing
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol* I'm the same way. I hate little problems like that. Sometimes I spend hours tracking down the smallest annoyance.

I think it's a good thing. Well, as long as it doesn't get in the way of more important things. :)

On a semi-related note, in Windows Explorer's folder Settings, I check launch folders in a separate process. If a folder decides to flake out, then it will not crash explorer since each folder is in a seperate process. This is not to say that every folder will open a new window. Unless you have that particular option set then new folders will open in the same window. It does require a tad more of the system resources but I've had far less problems with explorer since setting this option.

Not sure if this directly relates to the problem at hand but, my thought is that if each folder is in its own process it shoudn't be able to cause problems elsewhere.
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spy Ware removal tools can also cause this problem in some cases by deleting the wrong files because it identifies as spy ware. When you run the tool and it shows all of the spyware found scan over the folders that you are not sure of and check and see where the file is from alot of times it will pick up windows updates and other files. Check to see if any says windows and or microsft just un click the files deleate the rest and you should be ok then with out that problem. I have a client of mine that use to do this once a week.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts