• snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

XP Home: SP2
Dell Dimension 4400
256MB RAM
128 video card

I thought this was descriptive enough.
I am not able to copy and paste or "send to."
Msconfig and services.msc give me limited options. For instance, I cannot view properties in services; and the extended view doesn't load. Standard lets you view the services but some are unable to be loaded. I get various errors:
The print spooler service is not running.
Msconfig will not allow me to enable/run/start them.
Under control.exe the Network Connections folder has no contents(I checked under the folder options and other folders do display items).
I backed up files using Dantz(discontinued?) Western Digital external HDD. It saves to a ".rdb" file. I am not sure how to restore..when it comes time.
I might have to reinstall.
I was hoping to have better control in backing up, but I can't send to a drive. Thankfully the external HDD "seemed" to work.
I checked the drive afterwards and it listed about 30 files in a folder whose name I remember specifying(and creating for this purpose). Because they are in the ".rdb" format I am skeptical as to their reliability.
Is there a way to fix the no-print, no-clipboard, no-select services situation?
Other than the above the only other backup I have found to work is through attachments in e-mail. I don't see a CD write program and it is only a CD burning drive. There were some programs to do this...maybe they got deleted...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping to use ICS (Internet connection sharing) between this computer and a working one(unfortunately with Vista) to send the files to its HDD for later "easy" recovery.
This external HDD is FAT32 "for compatibility with all windows."
I was wondering about a better backup method..perhaps a not-so-utilized older computer with a new HDD in it around 100 GB to copy the contents needed for occasional backup. Also, for registry backup I think it would be best to have a dual-install of the OS.
This computer is not mine but needs to be up and running. I have XP Pro discs, but I have yet to install them on this comp...
Thank you.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch, did you post the right link?
Did I neglect some protocol in this post, or are you suggesting I post the Hijack this log?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

snail wrote:
or are you suggesting I post the Hijack this log?

Exactly what he's suggesting.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't run the HouseCall.
I couldn't install the AdAware program(two distinct errors: Cannot Run Windows Installer, in safe mode: The adminstrator has set policies agenst this install.)
I saved a screenshot of these and see the files but when I saved them there was an error saying that it could not save because a file of this name might already be in use -- but it created the file anyway(the first file of this name).
I couldn't install Spybot search and destroy at first until I went back to where it says automatically update(as part of install) and unchecked this. That let me install it.
I went through the instructions for Spybot but am not sure they actually took place. I waited for some time but there was no confirmation the registry was backed up or that the immunization was successful(results did not appear).
I attempted to update from here but it says error trying to update.
I attempted to search for problems but it gives me an error saying to update first.
Snags.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the log:
Services unable to be enabled OR run thus cannot copy, paste, send to, print, edit quick launch, Internet Connection Sharing, et cetera.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:05:23 PM, on 7/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\retrorun.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/def ... earch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/def ... .yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 0.0.0.0.:80
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\swg.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-789336058-813497703-725345543-1004\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-789336058-813497703-725345543-1004\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User '?')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~2\SDHelper.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Launcher (RetroLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Helper - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\rthlpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect WD Service (RetroWDSvc) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe

--
End of file - 4120 bytes
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure how this one compares to the one I did before executing the attempted instructions(HouseCall, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy).
Want that I post it?
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow this is weird: I search this page for zero nine(09) and it didn't show: 09 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem...
but I search oh 9 (the letter o) O9 and I see that line selected..
why is it oh instead of zero?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your log is clean as far as I can tell.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm...where from here?
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

snail wrote:
Wow this is weird: I search this page for zero nine(09) and it didn't show: 09 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem...
but I search oh 9 (the letter o) O9 and I see that line selected..
why is it oh instead of zero?

I believe the O actually stands for Other.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

This lousy backup hard drive program(Dantz, retrospect) is frustrating. I thought that I backed up the problematic computer's Hard Disk Drive to the external HDD; but when I connected this external HDD to another computer running XP Pro OS, the files are not showing up under its (Dantz') restore program.
Why did it make a file that IT cannot open?
I tried to "restore an entire volume," "restore selective files," and
"search for files" -- all to no avail, as the 31 files did not show up.
When I double-clicked on the files "backed up" to the external HDD, Dantz Retrospect opened but the file was not opened or managed.
How do I actually utilize this supposed backup feature?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you just use Windows built-in backup solution?

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in ntbackup and press enter

I have never heard of the program you are using and have never had a problem with NTBackup.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does NTBackup back up the files to media?
I don't have enough CD's (it is only a CD burner drive), and I am concerned that it will fail because so much is messed up in copying, pasting, and printing (or their lack of functionality).
I will try this, if it is able to write to the external HDD...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

snail wrote:
I thought that I backed up the problematic computer's Hard Disk Drive to the external HDD

You mention an external hard drive so back it up to that. NTBackup does not require a cd or dvd burner.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I feared: "ntbackup
Windows cannot find 'ntbackup'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, clck the Start button, and then click Search.
OK"

is there an extension at the end of ntbackup that I type?
Is this option enabled/disabled or even available in XP Home?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Although Windows XP Professional Edition and XP Home both ship with NTBackup, only XP Pro installs NTBackup by default. You can install NTBackup for XP Home by performing the following steps:

1. Insert the XP Home CD-ROM.
2. Navigate to the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.
3. Double-click the ntbackup.msi file to install NTBackup.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried this: "Windows Installer:
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
How about that: "or if the Windows Installer is not installed correctly."

Well, carp.
I am not in safe mode. I wonder if this would work from safe mode. I better remove the CD first.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Method 1: Reregister the Windows Installer
To reregister the Windows Installer, verify the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk and in the Windows Registry, and then reregister the Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
1. Determine the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\system32, and then click OK.

Note This step will open the folder where the Msiexec.exe file is located.
b. Make a note of the location of the Msiexec.exe file. The location of the Msiexec.exe file will be a combination of the value in the Address text box and the Msiexec.exe file name itself.

For example if the Address text box contains a value of C:\Windows\system32, the location of the Msiexec.exe file will be C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe.
2. Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Make sure that the location of the Msiexec.exe file in Registry Editor is correct. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open text box, and then click OK.
b. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand SYSTEM, expand CurrentControlSet, expand Services, and then click MSIServer.
c. In the right pane, right-click ImagePath, and then click Modify.
d. In the Value data text box, type the location of the Msiexec.exe file that you determined in step 1, followed by the value of /V, and then click OK.

For example, if the location of the Msiexec.exe file is C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe, type the following text in the Value data text box:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe /V
e. Click OK to close the Edit String dialog box.
f. Click the File menu, and then click Exit to close Registry Editor.
3. Start your computer in safe mode, and then register the Msiexec.exe file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
b. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
c. Press F8 before the Windows splash screen appears.
d. On the Windows Advanced Option menu, use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.
e. If you use a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the appropriate operating system from the list that is displayed, and then press ENTER.
f. Log on to the computer.
g. Click Start, click Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.

Note For 64-bit operating systems, you also have to reregister the 64-bit MSI installer. To do this, click Start, click Run, type %windir%\Syswow64\Msiexec /regserver in the Open text box, and then click OK.

On 64-bit editions of the Windows operating system, 32-bit binaries are located in %systemroot%\SysWow64 folder. The 64-bit binaries are located in the %systemroot%\System32 folder.
h. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
i. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.

If that doesn't work try this

To reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open text box, and then click OK.
2. Type cd %windir%\system32, and then press ENTER.
3. Type attrib -r -s -h dllcache, and then press ENTER.
4. Type ren msi.dll msi.old, and then press ENTER.
5. Type ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old, and then press ENTER.
6. Type ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old, and then press ENTER.
7. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
8. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
9. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
10. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
11. Log on to the computer.
12. Download and install the latest version of the Windows Installer. For more information about how to obtain the Windows Installer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
893803 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803/) Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available
13. Click Start, and then click Turn off computer or Shut Down.
14. Select the Restart option, and then click OK, or click Restart.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried this and to no avail. I was not able easily find Windows Installer. When I did, it did not install.
I am intrigued about the registry section for the services and I checked the directory where msiexec was supposed to be located. It was there and the imagepath was correctly reflecting this. Other services appear to be similar. I don't know how to install the Windows Installer. It says something to the effect that this SP2 install(on the XP Home) is newer than the Windows Installer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts